Close
    Thanks Given

Covering headlights and fog lights with plasti dip

I am wondering if this has been tested. When driving without a front plate, the only other really reflective parts on one of my cars is the headlight and fog light areas. I don't have any chrome on the car, it is all black plastic.

Seeing that the black Plastidip peels off quite easily, I wonder how effective it would be to black out the headlights and fog lights during a long road trip. If driving during the day it likely wouldn't be too noticeable (no drls on my car) and it would just peel off in a few seconds if I actually had to drive at night. If it helps as a CM, I'd be tempted to just leave it on the fogs as I never use them anyway.

Thoughts?

Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSe7en View Post
    I am wondering if this has been tested. When driving without a front plate, the only other really reflective parts on one of my cars is the headlight and fog light areas. I don't have any chrome on the car, it is all black plastic.

Seeing that the black Plastidip peels off quite easily, I wonder how effective it would be to black out the headlights and fog lights during a long road trip. If driving during the day it likely wouldn't be too noticeable (no drls on my car) and it would just peel off in a few seconds if I actually had to drive at night. If it helps as a CM, I'd be tempted to just leave it on the fogs as I never use them anyway.

Thoughts?
    My experience:
    1. I tested a black color small Mazda 2 weeks ago & had no trouble IPT on his bumper. I've also shot numerous civilian black cars, SUVs, P/U trucks,etc., deliberately avoiding chrome or anything reflective & still IPT.
    2. My ride is color red (somewhat absorptive of IR) w/ chrome Logo removed, same for LP & HLs/Fog Lights/ covered w/ flat black snap-on covers...but w/ Parking Sensors OFF, Radarrob gets IPT wherever he aimed.
    Last edited by RedRocket; 06-30-2016 at 02:50 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:

curmudgeon (07-01-2016), modsl55amg (06-30-2016)

Thanks Given
    Interesting to hear. It sounds like with the modern guns and a good operator the surface doesn't make "that much" of a difference then? Do you think the snap on covers allow for any advantage at all?
    Last edited by ShadowSe7en; 06-30-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks Given
    It's possible that a marginal jammer setup may be helped slightly by a non-reflective surface, but it seems the modern guns are just too sensitive. I have read tests where HID headlights were in fact helpful against DETC guns in conjunction with ALPs, as these guns are by far the most difficult. A properly setup ALP system shouldn't need any help though.
    The hold days of black corvettes being virtually invisible to lidar are gone it seems.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V1Jockey For This Useful Post:

modsl55amg (07-05-2016), ShadowSe7en (07-05-2016)