Close
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    407
    Thanks Given
    102
    Thanked 328 Times in 160 Posts
    @Vortex, really good stuff.

  2. #12
    Senior Member radargeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    York, SC
    Posts
    761
    Thanks Given
    149
    Thanked 726 Times in 355 Posts
    Very nice writeup, great job Vortex!

    In Part 7:
    After LID timeout: After you kill your laser jammers, do you want them to rearm after a few seconds of not being shot or do you want to wait 60 seconds before they automatically rearm? Waiting is nice so that you donít have to kill your jammers again if they rearm and he shoots you again a few seconds later. This only applies in autoJTK mode when the jammers kill themselves after the LID timeout, regardless of if you manually kill your jammers or if the timer shuts them off. In Unlimited jamming mode the jammers will automatically rearm after a few seconds once you JTK and you stop getting shot, no matter what you set this to.
    The after LID timeout setting lets you set it to Warm-up (goes directly to parking mode for 60 seconds) or DLI + Warm-up (goes to detect-only until the signal stops and then parking mode for 60 seconds). It doesn't disable the 60 second warm-up in either case; the only way to do that is to use Unlimited LID timing. I recommend DLI+Warm-up so you will know if you got shot again. Plus you'll get audio confirmation that a timed JTK occurred as the HiFi unit will say "Interference Detection Only." In warm-up only mode it doesn't say that, so it will look like you never JTKed in a video.
    Last edited by radargeek; 01-31-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    If I passed you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane!

    2016 Encounters/Saves (to date): 33.8: 1/1 (last 4/13) | 34.7: 1/1 (last 3/11) | 35.5: 19/11 (last 8/28) | K: 1/1 (last 6/26)
    2015 Encounters/Saves: 33.8: 1/0 | 34.7: 13/4 | 35.5: 19/10 | K: 4/1 | LIDAR (sighted/hit with/save): 4/1/1

    ACTIVE CMs: Redline X, K, Ka 2,4,5,8 (highway/long trip RD) | New! V1C 3.8945 K, Ka CS, TMF2 w/YaV1 (in-town RD) | ALP Quad | BlackVue DR650GW-2CH

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to radargeek For This Useful Post:

    modsl55amg (01-31-2016)

  4. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    501
    Thanks Given
    256
    Thanked 656 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by radargeek View Post
    Very nice writeup, great job Vortex!

    In Part 7:
    The after LID timeout setting lets you set it to Warm-up (goes directly to parking mode for 60 seconds) or DLI + Warm-up (goes to detect-only until the signal stops and then parking mode for 60 seconds). It doesn't disable the 60 second warm-up in either case; the only way to do that is to use Unlimited LID timing. I recommend DLI+Warm-up so you will know if you got shot again. Plus you'll get audio confirmation that a timed JTK occurred as the HiFi unit will say "Interference Detection Only." In warm-up only mode it doesn't say that, so it will look like you never JTKed in a video.
    Thanks! I went out to the car to get this all cleared up and you're right. With the LID Timer, the jammers always disable themselves altogether and go into parking sensor only mode once it's done. It doesn't matter if you manually or automatically JTK. It doesn't matter if you have it set to "Warm-up" or "DLI & Warm-up." As you said, the only way to have them rearm right afterwards is to stay in Unlimited Mode.

    I'm a little confused still about exactly what the two options are for the LID Warmup. I've made a few trips out to the car now and what I'm seeing is that with the LID Timer enabled, it will go into parking mode only once the encounter is done. Both "Warm-up" and "DLI & Warmup" will continue detecting post-JTK until the lidar goes away and it switches to parking sensor mode only. I thought this would be a difference.

    Whether you select the DLI after the timer or not, it always says "Interference Detection Only" as well. So I'm not quite sure what the difference is between "Warm-up" and "DLI & Warm-up."

    I wish there was a way to have the Automatic LID Timeout and then rather than warm up in parking sensor only mode, stay in receiving only mode, that way we could see the rest of the encounter. That's one thing I really liked about the HP-905's is that it was easy to switch them into detection only mode without a shadow of a doubt that you have JTK'ed since it has that rotating physical control switch. With the ALP, it's not always quite as clear that your jammers are disarmed and sometimes I wonder if they've actually been killed so I'll press the button a few more times to make sure.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vortex For This Useful Post:

    jfr3170 (01-31-2016), modsl55amg (01-31-2016)

  6. #14
    Senior Member BestRadarDetectors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,085
    Thanks Given
    712
    Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    Thanks! I went out to the car to get this all cleared up and you're right. With the LID Timer, the jammers always disable themselves altogether and go into parking sensor only mode once it's done. It doesn't matter if you manually or automatically JTK. It doesn't matter if you have it set to "Warm-up" or "DLI & Warm-up." As you said, the only way to have them rearm right afterwards is to stay in Unlimited Mode.

    I'm a little confused still about exactly what the two options are for the LID Warmup. I've made a few trips out to the car now and what I'm seeing is that with the LID Timer enabled, it will go into parking mode only once the encounter is done. Both "Warm-up" and "DLI & Warmup" will continue detecting post-JTK until the lidar goes away and it switches to parking sensor mode only. I thought this would be a difference.

    Whether you select the DLI after the timer or not, it always says "Interference Detection Only" as well. So I'm not quite sure what the difference is between "Warm-up" and "DLI & Warm-up."

    I wish there was a way to have the Automatic LID Timeout and then rather than warm up in parking sensor only mode, stay in receiving only mode, that way we could see the rest of the encounter. That's one thing I really liked about the HP-905's is that it was easy to switch them into detection only mode without a shadow of a doubt that you have JTK'ed since it has that rotating physical control switch. With the ALP, it's not always quite as clear that your jammers are disarmed and sometimes I wonder if they've actually been killed so I'll press the button a few more times to make sure.
    Skip First Warmup is to enable the unit to skip the initial 60 second warmup period when the system starts. This setting is only for initial boot up.

    Warm-up" and "DLI & Warm-up." after the timer expires is just exactly what it says... With warm-up after the timer expires it will go right into the 60 seconds parking only warm-up period. If you use DLI & Warm Up after the timer expires it will continue to alert you (Putting you into Detection Mode) until the threat ends and then move to the 60 second warm-up period.
    Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector for your needs? Visit our website: http://www.bestradardetectors.net, Send us a PM or call us at 1-888-229-7594
    Before looking at an Escort Radar Detector you should really check out Uniden Detectors.. Uniden R1 & R3 are the best performing radar detectors for the money.

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BestRadarDetectors For This Useful Post:

    curmudgeon (02-02-2016), jfr3170 (01-31-2016), modsl55amg (01-31-2016), PAPACUCU (02-01-2016)

  8. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    501
    Thanks Given
    256
    Thanked 656 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BestRadarDetectors View Post
    Skip First Warmup is to enable the unit to skip the initial 60 second warmup period when the system starts. This setting is only for initial boot up.

    Warm-up" and "DLI & Warm-up." after the timer expires is just exactly what it says... With warm-up after the timer expires it will go right into the 60 seconds parking only warm-up period. If you use DLI & Warm Up after the timer expires it will continue to alert you (Putting you into Detection Mode) until the threat ends and then move to the 60 second warm-up period.
    Thanks. I guess that's what was confusing me. I saw the jammer continue to alert me after the timer expired, even in Warm-up only mode. I went back to double-check my settings afterwards because I thought I programmed it wrong or something. I could switch back and forth between profiles for "Warm-up" and "DLI & Warm-up" and saw the same thing there. It may have just been a mistake on my part so I'll check it again later. Either way, I'll update the guide. Thank you.

  9. #16
    Senior Member radargeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    York, SC
    Posts
    761
    Thanks Given
    149
    Thanked 726 Times in 355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    Thanks. I guess that's what was confusing me. I saw the jammer continue to alert me after the timer expired, even in Warm-up only mode. I went back to double-check my settings afterwards because I thought I programmed it wrong or something. I could switch back and forth between profiles for "Warm-up" and "DLI & Warm-up" and saw the same thing there. It may have just been a mistake on my part so I'll check it again later. Either way, I'll update the guide. Thank you.
    I just tried it myself. I created 2 profiles with 3 second LID timeouts as a test, and the only difference between the two being "Warm-up" and "DLI+Warm-up". I had Pro Mode on in both profiles.

    In "warm-up" only, after the 3 second timeout the LED turned green and the alert stopped (after the HiFi finished with what it had to say). It didn't say "Interference Detection Only." Subsequent shots by the gun resulted in no alerts.
    In DLI+Warm up, after the 3 second timeout the HiFi said "Interference Detection Only" and the LED continued to indicate when I was shooting the gun (in Pro Mode). After a few seconds of no shooting the LED then turned green and it entered the 60 second warm-up.

    If I used the button to MANUALLY JTK it always goes to DLI first and says "Interference Detection Only", regardless of the "After LID timeout" setting. The setting only affects what happens after a timeout, not when the button is used to kill manually.

    So, in short, you can set what happens after the LID timeout (Warm-up or DLI+Warm-up), but regardless of this setting, if you hit the button to JTK it always goes to DLI+Warm-up.

    I discovered another feature as well. If you aren't using unlimited mode and you want to cancel the warm-up after being shot and JTK, just switch profiles.
    Last edited by radargeek; 02-01-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    If I passed you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane!

    2016 Encounters/Saves (to date): 33.8: 1/1 (last 4/13) | 34.7: 1/1 (last 3/11) | 35.5: 19/11 (last 8/28) | K: 1/1 (last 6/26)
    2015 Encounters/Saves: 33.8: 1/0 | 34.7: 13/4 | 35.5: 19/10 | K: 4/1 | LIDAR (sighted/hit with/save): 4/1/1

    ACTIVE CMs: Redline X, K, Ka 2,4,5,8 (highway/long trip RD) | New! V1C 3.8945 K, Ka CS, TMF2 w/YaV1 (in-town RD) | ALP Quad | BlackVue DR650GW-2CH

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to radargeek For This Useful Post:

    curmudgeon (02-02-2016), modsl55amg (02-01-2016), Vortex (02-01-2016)

  11. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    963
    Thanks Given
    326
    Thanked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    By the way, I think you meant to say "Escort and Beltronics are the same company": http://www.vortexradar.com/2015/12/d...ronics-magnum/

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to awj223 For This Useful Post:

    Vortex (02-03-2016)

  13. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    20
    Thanks Given
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for great writeup @Vortex !

    One comment, in the stinger section you say "Very active engineering team aggressively working on updates and development", is this still the case?

    Torn between which system to use for stealth install. ALP heads seem to be bigger than the stinger but all reports are performance etc much better.

    btw. I would say thank by clicking on link but I cannot seem to do it with current newbie permissions :-)

  14. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Given
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great install guide full of terrific tips! One question though, I purchased the GPS antenna and I'm looking for advise on where the best place to mount it would be. I thought the windshield would be the obvious place but with further research I found others suggesting just under the dash pad on a steel reinforcement to extend the antenna range. Any suggestions?

  15. #20
    Senior Member dinkydi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    cosmos
    Posts
    4,662
    Thanks Given
    5,894
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrdusr View Post
    Thanks for great writeup @Vortex !

    One comment, in the stinger section you say "Very active engineering team aggressively working on updates and development", is this still the case?

    Torn between which system to use for stealth install. ALP heads seem to be bigger than the stinger but all reports are performance etc much better.

    btw. I would say thank by clicking on link but I cannot seem to do it with current newbie permissions

    :-)
    this is ALP thread Not Stinger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •