Close
    Thanks Given

3M clear film on sensor head

In the past, I've put 3M clear film that I typically use to protect the paint on my car, on the sensor heads. I did this because after awhile the surface of the sensor gets worn from road debris. Does the 3M film affect the jamming capabilities?

Thanks Given
    Good question and I dont know the answer! I think that would be a great thing to test at the next Lidar meet, since its so easy to apply and take off no harm done to see if there is any effect.
    ALP Quint
    Red-Line 2/5/8

Thanks Given
    You would have to use heat to stretch it to fit over the contours of the bubble. Also, I am under the impression that many of these films have features like IR blocking to protect what is on the other side of the film. So make sure that you get one that doesn't!

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by hussein View Post
    You would have to use heat to stretch it to fit over the contours of the bubble. Also, I am under the impression that many of these films have features like IR blocking to protect what is on the other side of the film. So make sure that you get one that doesn't!
    The IR blocking possibility definitely gave me pause. I have considered this many times. I have my sensors down low and they take a beating, especially in winter.

Thanks Given
    I believe the film blocks UV not IR