Close
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Sarge View Post
    There I just tested it and it works just as good
    Seriously......I am now of the mind basic reflection management utilizing damn near any type of reflection management (I'll call that RM) will give you the same if not better results.
    My preference is non intrusive solutions like headlight/fog light film (Smoked, Blue) that many dealers put on now to protect the HL area from yellowing/rock chips etc.
    Angle your license plate down a tad or two.
    Just basic reflection management.
    Like my Longhorn Bulls Head I have on my Cadillac. I spray painted his eyeballs black as not to draw attention to myself.

LOL you've lost your damn mind!

MirageTools.net
    - Laser CM Reviews and Tools
    RALETC.com - Radar and Laser Expert Testing Cooperative
    AL PRIORITY (Quint) w/BT, RG, & STiR | V1 3.892 + YAV1 | BlackVue DR650GW-2CH

Thanks Given
    In the 60's.
    V1 YAV1 LI 8.9 2008 Silverado w/427ci
    Redline EL CS-56 Dual Jammer 2004 GTO 408ci Stroker Motor
    2014 Ford GT500 V1 YAV1 LI8.9
    8500 X50 Black EL 2013 Jeep Wrangler
    all with HeadlightArmor passive counter measures
    http://www.headlightarmor.com
    7 decades of hauling ass

The only way the French are going in is if we tell them we found truffles in Iraq

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Only Sarge For This Useful Post:

curmudgeon (03-23-2015), mikedotd (03-29-2015), Salty (03-24-2015)

Thanks Given
    Sarge just lacks reflection ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    LOL you've lost your damn mind!

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    Sarge just lacks reflection ...
    Let me reflect on that.
    7 decades of hauling ass

The only way the French are going in is if we tell them we found truffles in Iraq

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Only Sarge For This Useful Post:

curmudgeon (03-24-2015), mikedotd (03-29-2015), Salty (03-24-2015), Tman (03-23-2015)

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Only Sarge View Post
    I dont care if your testing mouse traps.....when you have 3 test done and 2 are almost identical results and one is waaaaayyyyyyy out of whack.
    Throw the anomaly out. Something is wrong.
    I look forward to BRD's test. I think he said the other day he can see sunlight now from his snow cave.
    When you have any number of tests done and one of them is RR's, just throw out RR's results. Regardless of whether they match the others or not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to awj223 For This Useful Post:

NYSpeederPVM (03-25-2015)

Thanks Given
    I am curious what the body of members think is the direction to go here.
    Do you/we spend our time pursuing A)cutting down reflectivity or B) continue the search for a product the absorbs IR.
    Or is passive counter measures a waste of time? Are the benefits so small it is not worth it?
    7 decades of hauling ass

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Only Sarge For This Useful Post:

OrlNmE (03-25-2015)

Thanks Given
    IMHO, it's always a good thing to pursue effective passive CM's. But we shouldn't let wishful thinking cloud our perception of results.

Thanks Given
    Well said. Buyer beware.
    7 decades of hauling ass

Thanks Given
    First I want to thank Mirage for making the effort and I am going to take the advice of some here not to get into any significant back and forth, contentious our otherwise.

With respect to the targeting, tripod mounts make it much harder on CMs used and is not representative of what happens in the real-world. I saw tripod mounting of police lasers more than 10 years ago when the lidar guns were huge and unwieldy. Hand holding as is done today should have an impact further reducing PTs that occur regardless of the guns used. I know that some of you are questioning Roy's results. I believe YC will have another shot at the same C7 that was tested with him doing the same hand-holding targeting. It would be most interesting to see the relative differences between Roy's ability versus YC's. I believe Mirage when he has the time will re-run these (I would hope without the tape, because it doesn't even look like it was coated consistently anyway) with the guns he has in his possession in a handheld fashion. I would expect to see improvements. As I expressed to Mirage when he shared his experiences, I was expecting better outcomes. I can only attribute this to tripod absolutely rock-steady setups. The other thing I would like to do is to get a better handle on his reflective profile. Seeing some improvement with the tape (even not fully and evenly painted), suggests to me that there are indeed other areas of the vehicle (beyond the lights) that are contributing to his PTs that these latest guns are capitalizing upon. It's also going to be interesting how its going to do against the LTI LRBs, TruSpeeds, older Stalkers, etc. I recall the PL4 we do quite well with too. All I am going to ask is to consider these other factors. If there is something unforeseen with G5 (over G4) which would be adversely impacting its performance over G4 (which I sincerely doubt), we'll address it and I anticipate Mirage's feedback to be helpful in that regard. We will continue to communicate with Mirage as we figure out the dynamics at play here. I was expecting much better, candidly, and so I am very interested in understanding why it didn't show better. One way or another, we'll figure that one out.

I have also asked Mirage to actually drive with G5 in the real-world and document his experiences on the road. This is what we're really interested in seeing.

Cheers.

VG
    Last edited by Veil Guy; 03-24-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Veil Guy View Post
    With respect to the targeting, tripod mounts make it much harder on CMs used and is not representative of what happens in the real-world. I saw tripod mounting of police lasers more than 10 years ago when the lidar guns were huge and unwieldy. Hand holding as is done today should have an impact further reducing PTs that occur regardless of the guns used. I know that some of you are questioning Roy's results. I believe YC will have another shot at the same C7 that was tested with him doing the same hand-holding targeting. It would be most interesting to see the relative differences between Roy's ability versus YC's. I believe Mirage when he has the time will re-run these (I would hope without the tape, because it doesn't even look like it was coated consistently anyway) with the guns he has in his possession in a handheld fashion. I would expect to see improvements.
    The problem with doing this handheld is though is that you can't be consistent in targeting from run to run, unless you have a tripod mount with motors that can mimic movement of the human hand and "replay" exactly the same movement from run to run, as well as a car that's guided by some system (perhaps magnets in the ground) that feeds its position and distance to the mount such that it targets the EXACT same place on the car at EXACTLY the same distance in multiple runs.