Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Given

What Ka bands should I be running in CA?

I know that CHP uses Stalker, which is exclusively band 5 (34.7). I've seen a few reports of 35.5 in CA, but has anyone ever had a legit 33.8 encounter in CA? If not, then I might just switch off band 2 for better response and fewer falses.

So is the advice to run 5 only, 5 and 8, or 2 and 5 and 8?

Thanks Given
    Clint Eastwood would be the person to ask. Send him a pm and ask him to shoot over into this thread.
    One of the worst things you can be in life is blindly obedient to authority. It’s a forfeiture of your personhood—an acknowledgement of your nothingness.

-Kevin Geary

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    I know that CHP uses Stalker, which is exclusively band 5 (34.7). I've seen a few reports of 35.5 in CA, but has anyone ever had a legit 33.8 encounter in CA? If not, then I might just switch off band 2 for better response and fewer falses.

So is the advice to run 5 only, 5 and 8, or 2 and 5 and 8?
    I have a video in RDF where there was a black unmarked crown Vic in Half Moon Bay running 33.8 but that is the only 33.8 I've ever picked up in CA. I still have no confirmation if it were a cop or not, so I would say running 5 is sufficient in the Bay and 5/8 is sufficient on the freeways. I would probably not risk it if venturing local in unfamiliar territory.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    I have a video in RDF where there was a black unmarked crown Vic in Half Moon Bay running 33.8 but that is the only 33.8 I've ever picked up in CA. I still have no confirmation if it were a cop or not, so I would say running 5 is sufficient in the Bay and 5/8 is sufficient on the freeways. I would probably not risk it if venturing local in unfamiliar territory.
    Have you seen band 8 on freeways outside of the Bay Area but inside of California? And if so, was it CHP running it?

Thanks Given
    Have you seen band 8 on freeways outside of the Bay Area but inside of California? And if so, was it CHP running it?
    Yes, I've seen confirmed 35.5 from the U.S. Park Police inside Yosemite, as well as the blue DHS federal police vehicles near Golden Gate Bridge. They also sometimes run radar from Suburbans on 101 near SF. Those vehicles have the white conical Kustom antennas.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdong For This Useful Post:

awj223 (03-06-2015)

Thanks Given
    Okay, so then I'm going to configure my ALP to scan only bands 5 and 8 for inside CA freeway driving. I also have another USB stick for travel on local roads in unfamiliar areas which has K band and Ka band 2 enabled as well (mainly for road trips - only used occasionally).

Thanks Given
    Okay, so then I'm going to configure my ALP to scan only bands 5 and 8 for inside CA freeway driving. I also have another USB stick for travel on local roads in unfamiliar areas which has K band and Ka band 2 enabled as well (mainly for road trips - only used occasionally).
    I presume HiFi doesn't announce frequencies? That's too bad -- I wish it would at least announce "Ka 5"

Thanks Given
    I presume HiFi doesn't announce frequencies? That's too bad -- I wish it would at least announce "Ka 5"
    It does not. I really need that AL Display so I can figure out what band I'm detecting.

I've twice detected Ka on N 1st Street in San Jose between 880 and Gish. I haven't a clue what band it's detecting, and it's been only one blip then gone. I'm going to try to enable Ka wideband on my STiR+ and see if it detects a stronger signal next time I drive through there.

Thanks Given
    It does not. I really need that AL Display so I can figure out what band I'm detecting.

I've twice detected Ka on N 1st Street in San Jose between 880 and Gish. I haven't a clue what band it's detecting, and it's been only one blip then gone. I'm going to try to enable Ka wideband on my STiR+ and see if it detects a stronger signal next time I drive through there.
    That's not far from where I live. I might swing by and investigate. I would not be surprised if that area has a Ka speed sign

Thanks Given
    That's not far from where I live. I might swing by and investigate. I would not be surprised if that area has a Ka speed sign
    Both times, right here: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3610...3i2v4-TGhg!2e0

Northbound, near the Holiday Inn.