Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
ALP GPS Antenna's - Page 2
Close
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 85
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    114
    Thanks Given
    93
    Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Hi,
    Yes I understand you need the ALP which I have. So to clarify, I connect the GPS to the ALP and through the Blue Tooth and IPhone App, it will know I am in Australia and where the speed cameras are? How does it know where the cameras are? Is there some type of database inside it or a database that is uploadd to the iPhone via an update to the App similar to Trapster??.?
    Thanks for your help clarifying

  2. #12
    Senior Member BestRadarDetectors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,085
    Thanks Given
    712
    Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abarth695 View Post
    Hi,
    Yes I understand you need the ALP which I have. So to clarify, I connect the GPS to the ALP and through the Blue Tooth and IPhone App, it will know I am in Australia and where the speed cameras are? How does it know where the cameras are? Is there some type of database inside it or a database that is uploadd to the iPhone via an update to the App similar to Trapster??.?
    Thanks for your help clarifying
    This has nothing to do with cameras.. Please re-read the first post and it explains the benefits of adding the GPS antenna.
    Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector for your needs? Visit our website: http://www.bestradardetectors.net, Send us a PM or call us at 1-888-229-7594
    Before looking at an Escort Radar Detector you should really check out Uniden Detectors.. Uniden R1 & R3 are the best performing radar detectors for the money.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    114
    Thanks Given
    93
    Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Ok thanks but if you are using iPod or iPhone which have GPS built in and currently gives you travelling speed, why can't the app utilise the GPS you already have. Those without the App, would only need to use the GPS antenna
    Does this make sense?

  4. #14
    Senior Member BestRadarDetectors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,085
    Thanks Given
    712
    Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abarth695 View Post
    Ok thanks but if you are using iPod or iPhone which have GPS built in and currently gives you travelling speed, why can't the app utilise the GPS you already have. Those without the App, would only need to use the GPS antenna
    Does this make sense?
    Because the ALP Connect App is not doing the filtering the CPU itself is and it needs its own dedicated connection to a GPS Signal.
    Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector for your needs? Visit our website: http://www.bestradardetectors.net, Send us a PM or call us at 1-888-229-7594
    Before looking at an Escort Radar Detector you should really check out Uniden Detectors.. Uniden R1 & R3 are the best performing radar detectors for the money.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    114
    Thanks Given
    93
    Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Gotcha
    Thanks for explaining

  6. #16
    Senior Member ECMExpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    I yam where I yam!
    Posts
    414
    Thanks Given
    233
    Thanked 244 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BestRadarDetectors View Post
    Of course you need an AL Priority System, A GPS antenna is just an antenna and will not do anything on its own.


    Where will this plug into the ALP and do you also need to be running an RD for this to work. You know Tom that I want one, so sign me up!

  7. #17
    Moderator winterbrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    2,020
    Thanks Given
    2,216
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ECMExpert View Post
    Where will this plug into the ALP and do you also need to be running an RD for this to work. You know Tom that I want one, so sign me up!
    Plugs into the R/G module ;

    http://www.alpriorityusa.com/AL-Priority-RG-Module.html

    Guess you don't need a compatible RD plugged into the R/G module if you only need lidar defence inhibited below a certain speed
    2 x ALPriority (Quint) with STi-R+ and BT/HiFi/GPS integration | V1C (sold) | Bel RX65 S7 | 2015 Intl Redline Pro-A (sold) | Uniden R3 | Uniden LRD950 (sold) | Stalker Lidar | UltraLyte LRB | Kustom Raptor RP-1 2 x K band, 1 x Ka band antennas | Decatur Genesis-II K band |

  8. #18
    Moderator winterbrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    2,020
    Thanks Given
    2,216
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BestRadarDetectors View Post
    Specifications on these new GPS antennas have a 6M length. I feel that the cable is too long and should be shorter. What do you think the max length anyone would need with one of these GPS antennas? Where do you guys think you will mount them? I guess they are making them long enough so that if someone wants to mount one on the the rear deck its long enough but I would mount mine on the dash which would leave over 10FT of extra cable under the dash. Any thoughts on this?
    Does sound a bit long - I'd definately put in in a corner on the front dash, so 3m min would be good, but as you say, for a large vehicle, 6m should be plenty to cover all mounting options, especially for external mounting. A V1 'Savvy' type radar muting under a set speed after getting used to YaV1 on the V1C would definitely be welcome when driving through shopping center car parks, gas stations etc
    2 x ALPriority (Quint) with STi-R+ and BT/HiFi/GPS integration | V1C (sold) | Bel RX65 S7 | 2015 Intl Redline Pro-A (sold) | Uniden R3 | Uniden LRD950 (sold) | Stalker Lidar | UltraLyte LRB | Kustom Raptor RP-1 2 x K band, 1 x Ka band antennas | Decatur Genesis-II K band |

  9. #19
    Senior Member BestRadarDetectors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,085
    Thanks Given
    712
    Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by winterbrew View Post
    Plugs into the R/G module ;

    http://www.alpriorityusa.com/AL-Priority-RG-Module.html

    Guess you don't need a compatible RD plugged into the R/G module if you only need lidar defence inhibited below a certain speed
    I am waiting for a response from AL. Originally the ALP was designed with the GPS Port and they later expanded it to Radar & GPS through the RG Module but I am hoping they left the original GPS option still there and maybe it wont need the RG Module. I will know shortly.
    Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector for your needs? Visit our website: http://www.bestradardetectors.net, Send us a PM or call us at 1-888-229-7594
    Before looking at an Escort Radar Detector you should really check out Uniden Detectors.. Uniden R1 & R3 are the best performing radar detectors for the money.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BestRadarDetectors For This Useful Post:

    dinkydi (03-13-2014), EightyFiveHundred (03-13-2014), modsl55amg (05-22-2015), winterbrew (03-13-2014)

  11. #20
    Administrator Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,915
    Thanks Given
    856
    Thanked 2,544 Times in 856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BestRadarDetectors View Post
    Specifications on these new GPS antennas have a 6M length. I feel that the cable is too long and should be shorter. What do you think the max length anyone would need with one of these GPS antennas? Where do you guys think you will mount them? I guess they are making them long enough so that if someone wants to mount one on the the rear deck its long enough but I would mount mine on the dash which would leave over 10FT of extra cable under the dash. Any thoughts on this?
    IMO this is too long. I too will be placing the antenna on my dash so therefore at most I would need 3-4 ft. Now this is considering my ALP is mounted under my dash.

    MirageTools.net
    - Laser CM Reviews and Tools
    RALETC.com - Radar and Laser Expert Testing Cooperative
    AL PRIORITY (Quint) w/BT, RG, & STiR | V1 3.892 + YAV1 | BlackVue DR650GW-2CH

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage For This Useful Post:

    dinkydi (03-13-2014)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •