Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALP and GPS

Thanks Given

ALP and GPS

My understanding of the tx head is that it requires the ALP CPU to be connected to the GPS antenna, and that's for IP protection.

My guess is that it's harder to reverse engineer the thing if a requirement is that the sensor has to be moving at a particular speed or higher. Anyways, (since I don't care to reverse engineer duck all), my question is more from a usability perspective.

Let's say I'm speeding in a tunnel, and there's a cop who dings me. Since the GPS receiver can't connect to a satellite...

1) I guess I'm screwed because for all intents and purposes the ALP thinks I'm not moving? Am I right, wrong here?
    2) Is there a way for me to know if/when the system is actively ready and alert?

Right now (I don't have the GPS unit), when the ALP system is ready/active then it goes blue. I assume that at a speed below 30km/hr (since I'm in Canada), it doesn't go blue, and once I go pass the minimum speed it then does go blue to alert me it's ready?

Am I off base here? Thanks

Thanks Given
    You will be ok in the tunnel provided you get hit over the 18Mph thresh-hold, you may here GPS lost but you are still ok and Im sure the light will stay blue and you will be protected, Tom has told us over and over to not worry about tunnels and we are good to go!!
    ALP Quint
    Red-Line 2/5/8

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holla For This Useful Post:

angrypenguin (08-19-2017), Qui-Gon (09-02-2017)

Thanks Given
    Thanks - I also now have to figure out where the blip to put the gps receiver. Is it alright if I put it behind a plastic front grill or is the sensitivity relatively poor such that I have to put it in the cabin where there's a direct view of the sun?

EDIT based on initial readings it seems like the receiver is waterproof...
    Last edited by angrypenguin; 08-19-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks Given
    No problems with tx. There's a 500m tunnel here and defense mode will stay active through its entirety
    Last edited by System; 08-19-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks Given
    People have put the GPS under their dash and have had no issues--seems like you can put anyplace you like and be good to go
    ALP Quint
    Red-Line 2/5/8

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Holla View Post
    People have put the GPS under their dash and have had no issues--seems like you can put anyplace you like and be good to go
    Thanks. I think for appearances sake I'll put it under the plastic cover that's under the windshield wipers on the passenger side. Therefore it's only one plastic cover between the GPS sensor and the sky. I know the cable is stupid long so I'll run it through the firewall and into the engine bay, and then feed it all the way to the other side and hide it underneath the plastic cover.

Gosh I have too much time on my hands this weekend
    Last edited by angrypenguin; 08-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks Given
    Yeah I have mine under my steering wheel with my CPU. No issues there!

Thanks Given
    I have mine at the base of the windshield below the wipers and it works fine.

Thanks Given
    On mine with legal tint you cannot see the puck form outside in shade or sun.

I put black electrical tape patch over the LED (it reflects off the glass too) and tried a custom thin patch and found the puck is semi transparent and the light glowed to the sides of it.
    So I put a normal width patch and had to curl it over the edge because the LED wrap's the corner.

Being my interior is dark it looks OE back there. And I want to point out the LED is not super imposing bright. It can only be seen at night and with any kind of outside ambient light or glare from lights behind me it can't be seen.

Name:  tx_gps.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  164.1 KB

Thanks Given
    Makes no sense to have GPS, why force a product that does not need GPS to use GPS?
    I use: Max with super DNA! 9500CI/ZR4 - LI Dual - RedLine - LIVE - V1 3.872/.893 {1,7,b,E,F,G (l/L)} zr4. I have used: 9500I Blue=x1 upgraded to ix. - 9500I Red=x2 - 8500 x1, 8500X50 Black, SmartRadar, PRO300, old Bel 9??, K40.

-No one detector is perfect for everyone. And the one you don’t like may be perfect for someone else.

"trust, but verify"

My new install: http://radarandlaserforum.com/showth...te-CJR-install