PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Testing

SurrealOne
03-04-2016, 01:58 PM
I'm looking for any forum members on the west coast with Lidar guns? Anybody willing to help with testing?

RedRocket
03-05-2016, 07:16 AM
I'm looking for any forum members on the west coast with Lidar guns? Anybody willing to help with testing?No, I kinda doubt you will find anyone here. You'll probably have to wait till late June for the one happening in the LA area on the other Forum you belong to.

Ya' wanna drive out here to the Northeast I'll Test you ASAP ? :chuncky:

Clint Eastwood
03-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Define "west coast"...

We are having an event in SoCal June 25th. Specific location TBD, but will generally be around OC.

If you are in NorCal, send me a PM and I can arrange something sooner.

SurrealOne
03-07-2016, 09:56 AM
I'm in the Orange County area and willing to drive. Thanks for any help I can get.

SurrealOne
03-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Define "west coast"...

We are having an event in SoCal June 25th. Specific location TBD, but will generally be around OC.

If you are in NorCal, send me a PM and I can arrange something sooner.
I will mark my calendar. Thanks Again.

SurrealOne
06-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Not sure how this works this will be my first time testing. But I wanted to see if we are on for June testing out west and also offer my help in anyway I can.

RedRocket
06-06-2016, 07:41 PM
Not sure how this works this will be my first time testing. But I wanted to see if we are on for June testing out west and also offer my help in anyway I can. Clint Eastwood
SurrealOne - doing the above insures he will not miss your request to attend. He visits here on occasion but not regularly at times.

Clint Eastwood
07-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Late to the party here... we are planning a September or October test event in SoCal. I will post details once they are solidified.

ptatohed
09-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Please please count me in.

RedRocket
09-14-2016, 04:03 PM
Not sure how this works this will be my first time testing. But I wanted to see if we are on for June testing out west and also offer my help in anyway I can.

Please please count me in. SurrealOne ptatohed
Looks like there will be one taken place in late Oct., guys.

ptatohed
09-14-2016, 05:08 PM
@SurrealOne (http://radarandlaserforum.com/member.php?u=8193) @ptatohed (http://radarandlaserforum.com/member.php?u=8556)
Looks like there will be one taken place in late Oct., guys.

Very cool. Thanks RR. I better get off my tush and install my ALF CS-56 III and Laser Elite X1! Do we know when and where yet? I am in Riverside County.

SurrealOne
09-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Great news! Looking forward to it.

RedRocket
09-14-2016, 10:20 PM
So. Cal on Oct. 29th, but there's a lotta ppl already...not sure if limit is exceeded. Site is quite remote & I'll get the Organizer's attention to stop by here for a visit.

SurrealOne
09-14-2016, 10:43 PM
Well if it helps buy me a ticket in I work for a large beer distribution company is Orange County and will bring the beer.. :popcorn:

Clint Eastwood
09-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Let me know who wants to attend this event. DJRAMS80 will be the shooter.

Saturday October 29, 11am - 2pm.

Location is El Mirage Dry Lake - BLM charges you $15 to drive onto the lakebed. After lidar testing you can drive your car as fast as you want - no tickets, no cops.
The only thing that will prevent this event is weather - high winds or rain, but unlikely.

Also, post your vehicle type and jammer configuration, this way we can pre-print up a roster before the event.

Note this part in the link... There is no speed limit on the open lakebed, but vehicle operators are responsible for their own safety,

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/mirage.html

ptatohed
09-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info CE.

Wow, that looks pretty rad. I had no idea this existed. What's it like driving on hard flat dirt? Is it stable at high speeds? Any risk of rock chips to the paint?

What should we give DJRAMS80 for compensation?

SurrealOne
09-15-2016, 08:06 PM
Please count me in 3 head front ALP and STiR-+
2014 Ford Explorer Sport Black5511

Clint Eastwood
09-15-2016, 11:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjkwFRNcE0U

El Mirage Dry Lake was also the site for this off-beat movie, SimOne with Al Pacino...

Clint Eastwood
09-16-2016, 12:59 AM
The plan is to setup a canopy, table, chairs and whatnot on the edge of the dry lakebed. We will setup cones to mark the course and measured distance. We will shoot from 1500 feet.

TruSpeed
TruSpeed S
DragonEye Speed Lidar
LTI LRB

RedRocket
09-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Looks like "rear" Testing will be near impossible b/c of trailing dust (salt) cloud even @ 40mph. :drama:

ptatohed
09-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Looks like "rear" Testing will be near impossible b/c of trailing dust (salt) cloud even @ 40mph. :drama:

Hmm, maybe you are on to something. Instead of laser jammers, maybe we can design something that projects smoke or fog or dust in front of the car as you drive. Kind of like KITT's smoke screen but to the front. ;)

RedRocket
09-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Hmm, maybe you are on to something. Instead of laser jammers, maybe we can design something that projects smoke or fog or dust in front of the car as you drive. Kind of like KITT's smoke screen but to the front. ;)"KITT" - lol
This issue I noticed years ago when experimenting. Even rooster tail road spray from rears tires on wet roads made P/T difficult, but there is a work-around to this issue. Also, near impossible to shoot thru ground fog too - even at spitting range. ;)

Clint Eastwood
09-18-2016, 11:10 PM

30 mph is better for testing, and I believe the 'hard pan' area of the flats will be dust free.

Clint Eastwood
09-18-2016, 11:13 PM
Regarding rear jammers... we will test them but in CA there is currently no threat to rear shots. I've been on this bandwagon for a few years and no one has proven me otherwise.

RedRocket
09-19-2016, 12:10 PM
30 mph is better for testing, and I believe the 'hard pan' area of the flats will be dust free.My thoughts on this are it's not a best practice(IMO) if this is what DJrams does & I prefer my 'victim's' to come at me ~40-45mph (1000'). The Laser Diodes have a finite life cycle & I like to keep the firing period to a minimum(reduced heat build-up). Approaching from 1500' @ 30mph is a very long duration...30sec.+ of run time will surely get the Transponder quite HOT especially the enviroment your Meet is taking place. - Try putting your fingers on the Transponder after one of these 1500' 30mph runs.

Regarding rear jammers... we will test them but in CA there is currently no threat to rear shots. I've been on this bandwagon for a few years and no one has proven me otherwise.Tactics are evolving w/ LE, I see it here & have no doubt it will spread elsewhere. Driver mirror shots were extremely rare but not anymore where I drive, Rear attention will be next.

ptatohed
09-19-2016, 01:17 PM
I am new to this so it's quite possible I do not know what I am talking about but I thought it would be kind of cool to pick an original travel speed (V1) and a final travel speed (V2). Let's say V1 is 50mph, and V1 is 10mph less, 40mph. The goal would be to get from V1 to V2 as soon as you hear the laser alert before Lidar punch through (if any). I guess the gun operator will know if he gets instant punch through or not but, who knows, if it were even just 2 seconds, that might be enough to drop 5-10mph. What do you guys think?

RedRocket
09-19-2016, 02:42 PM
I am new to this so it's quite possible I do not know what I am talking about but I thought it would be kind of cool to pick an original travel speed (V1) and a final travel speed (V2). Let's say V1 is 50mph, and V1 is 10mph less, 40mph. The goal would be to get from V1 to V2 as soon as you hear the laser alert before Lidar punch through (if any). I guess the gun operator will know if he gets instant punch through or not but, who knows, if it were even just 2 seconds, that might be enough to drop 5-10mph. What do you guys think?This Test objective isn't about developing your reaction performance, it's about determining if you have any P/T vulnerabilities in your installation, I believe.

modsl55amg
09-19-2016, 03:10 PM
My thoughts on this are it's not a best practice(IMO) & I prefer my 'victim's' to come at me ~40mph. The Laser Diodes have a finite life cycle & I like to keep the firing period to a minimum. Approaching from 1500' @ 30mph is a very long duration...30sec.+ of run time will surely get the Transponder quite HOT especially the enviroment your Meet is taking place.

Tactics are evolving w/ LE, I see it here & have no doubt it will spread elsewhere. Driver mirror shots were extremely rare but not anymore where I drive, Rear attention will be next.

Hi RedRocket, I understand your thoughts and concerns regarding a lengthy "pass" driving towards a "shooter" in a test situation. A shorter "pass" will have the Laser Diodes actually firing for a shorter period of time, thereby keeping the Transponder cooler. Hopefully that will prolong the life-cycle (life-span?) of the Laser Diodes. So, that deals with a heating, or possibly an over-heating situation. If the Laser Diodes actually do have a finite life-cycle (life-span?), what are your thoughts regarding the number of times a Laser Diode actually fires? In other words, if a member tests his car's ALP systems every couple of months with an array of different Lidar guns, in order to confirm that the transponders are still positioned correctly and successfully perform their function, would or could that amount of testing eat into the life-cycle (life-span?) of the Laser Diodes and/or the Transponder?

While I rarely have an encounter with actual Lidar, (I have actually encountered Lidar only in NY, CT, and MA, when driving to and from your area), maybe the more often testing I perform on my systems might equate to members who have numerous actual Lidar encounters but who rarely test their systems.

What are your thoughts or advice? Should I keep the actual testing down to a minimum, in order to conserve the number of remaining life-cycles available, for actual Lidar encounter situations?

ptatohed
09-19-2016, 03:12 PM
This Test objective isn't about developing your reaction performance, it's about determining if you have any P/T vulnerabilities in your installation, I believe.

I understand. But the bigger picture is to avoid getting clocked by an officer at a "ticket-worthy" speed. It'd be nice to know how much speed could be reduced before PT happens.

Clint Eastwood
09-20-2016, 12:44 AM
Regarding test speed, we have been, up until this upcoming event, tested on an enclosed course that is a trucking yard. The people who gave us permission to use the course would probably not like it if we were doing 50 mph inside their enclosure. 35 mph has been our speed limit, but since we are in the open, we might modify that on this next event.

RedRocket
09-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Hi RedRocket, I understand your thoughts and concerns regarding a lengthy "pass" driving towards a "shooter" in a test situation. A shorter "pass" will have the Laser Diodes actually firing for a shorter period of time, thereby keeping the Transponder cooler. Hopefully that will prolong the life-cycle (life-span?) of the Laser Diodes. So, that deals with a heating, or possibly an over-heating situation. If the Laser Diodes actually do have a finite life-cycle (life-span?), what are your thoughts regarding the number of times a Laser Diode actually fires? In other words, if a member tests his car's ALP systems every couple of months with an array of different Lidar guns, in order to confirm that the transponders are still positioned correctly and successfully perform their function, would or could that amount of testing eat into the life-cycle (life-span?) of the Laser Diodes and/or the Transponder?

While I rarely have an encounter with actual Lidar, (I have actually encountered Lidar only in NY, CT, and MA, when driving to and from your area), maybe the more often testing I perform on my systems might equate to members who have numerous actual Lidar encounters but who rarely test their systems.

What are your thoughts or advice? Should I keep the actual testing down to a minimum, in order to conserve the number of remaining life-cycles available, for actual Lidar encounter situations?I personally don't Test my install frequently w/ normal testing runs like we do at Meets. Occasionally, I do use the AL handheld Tester to fire the Transponders for a short burst & use my IR camera to view the patterns & relative output to make sure all still looks good. I also infrequently look/check physical alignment to make sure nothing has changed.
At present, there is no history on the life cycle reliance of the Priority & I was one of the earlier adopters of the "Priority" when it came out in late 2013. I've had plenty of encounters over that period including lots of initial Testing when I first got them...so that a damn good history so far. Only time will tell how much life is left in them. :encouragement:

I understand. But the bigger picture is to avoid getting clocked by an officer at a "ticket-worthy" speed. It'd be nice to know how much speed could be reduced before PT happens.Your main concern once your sys. is fully Tested soon is to remember in a real LEO encounter is to not stab the brakes to hard that you cause the nose of the car to "dip" to severely...if you do, that will likely result in an instant P/T !

You need to be quick but also smart about it.

SurrealOne
09-20-2016, 01:37 PM
how does one use a IR camera to view patterns? And what kind of IR camera do you use?

RedRocket
09-20-2016, 05:47 PM
how does one use a IR camera to view patterns? And what kind of IR camera do you use?I use a cheap camera I bought off the Internet that had the "hot" mirror removed.
I place a wide (as wide as the Front of my car) cardboard placard (painted light grey) I made so all 3 Transponders fit on it & get 3 images like the single one you see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgisHAQehMc

SurrealOne
09-20-2016, 05:54 PM
I use a cheap camera I bought off the Internet that had the "hot" mirror removed.
I place a wide (as wide as the Front of my car) cardboard placard (painted light grey) I made so all 3 Transponders fit on it & get 3 images like the single one you see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgisHAQehMc
Very cool I'm thinking about renting a IR cam from local hardware store(homedepot) You think that would work?

RedRocket
09-20-2016, 09:50 PM
Very cool I'm thinking about renting a IR cam from local hardware store(homedepot) You think that would work?I have no idea what the particulars of this camera are for viewing 905nm IR...so why don't you inquire about what its wavelength response is in the IR range before spending money.

SurrealOne
09-20-2016, 09:56 PM
That's great advice and thank you

ptatohed
10-26-2016, 06:08 PM
I forgot about this thread. I had started following the one on rdforum. Are you guys following that thread too?

RedRocket
10-26-2016, 08:13 PM
I forgot about this thread. I had started following the one on rdforum. Are you guys following that thread too?Not me...gotta link ?

ptatohed
10-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Not me...gotta link ?

I wasn't sure if that was cool to do or not? Anyway, here it is.

https://www.rdforum.org/showthread.php?t=55546

SurrealOne
10-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Not sure whats going on I was planning on the dry lake bed but after looking at the other forum it looks like things have changed. Not sure what to do now?

RedRocket
10-27-2016, 07:40 PM
Not sure whats going on I was planning on the dry lake bed but after looking at the other forum it looks like things have changed. Not sure what to do now?As this is your first rodeo likely, it sounds like it's just a venue change. That's no big deal really, why not attend anyway...ya' wanna be Tested, don'tcha ?

SurrealOne
10-27-2016, 07:58 PM
Oh yes I plan on attending I started this thread lol I also paid a visit to the other forum and sent a PM to openroad with my contact details.. looking forward to getting tested see you all Sat.

Clint Eastwood
10-27-2016, 10:01 PM
We will have a DET Compact in the test suite. We are testing, rain or shine. There is probably room for 1 to 2 more if anyone is interested... PM if so.

Clint Eastwood
10-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Not sure whats going on I was planning on the dry lake bed but after looking at the other forum it looks like things have changed. Not sure what to do now?

The dry lake is under control of BLM, and they don't want to have to tow out cars stuck in mud, or have cars cause tracks on the flat dry lake. If it is dry by Sat morning it should be open.. right now hard to tell. Alternate sites are close by on paved roads.

ptatohed
10-28-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm in and have been in contact with Open Road. :)

Clint Eastwood
10-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Total of 11 vehicles showed up. Shot everyone with

Stalker XLR
TruSpeed
TruSpeed S
UltraLyte LRB
Dragon Eye Compact

Results posting up later this weekend. (We tested cars with LI, Stinger, ALPs, Laser Elite, and some Korean Knock offs.)

Clint Eastwood
10-30-2016, 12:04 AM
DJs new personalized plate.

ptatohed
10-30-2016, 12:32 AM
Total of 11 vehicles showed up. Shot everyone with

Stalker XLR
TruSpeed
TruSpeed S
UltraLyte LRB
Dragon Eye Compact

Results posting up later this weekend. (We tested cars with LI, Stinger, ALPs, Laser Elite, and some Korean Knock offs.)

Great time guys, thanks! Definitely worth the 2.5 hour (2x) drive. Hey, don't forget the Apptronics Stealth Interceptor 2200is (http://www.app-tronics.com/stealth2200.html). ;)

RedRocket
10-31-2016, 08:12 AM
DJs new personalized plate.

5545Well, I'd be far more impressed if it was - J T K !
(Maybe he's been outta the game to long for that choice) - :disturbed: