PDA

View Full Version : What Ka bands should I be running in CA?

awj223
03-06-2015, 01:33 PM
I know that CHP uses Stalker, which is exclusively band 5 (34.7). I've seen a few reports of 35.5 in CA, but has anyone ever had a legit 33.8 encounter in CA? If not, then I might just switch off band 2 for better response and fewer falses.

So is the advice to run 5 only, 5 and 8, or 2 and 5 and 8?

Salty
03-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Clint Eastwood would be the person to ask. Send him a pm and ask him to shoot over into this thread.

jdong
03-06-2015, 02:28 PM
I know that CHP uses Stalker, which is exclusively band 5 (34.7). I've seen a few reports of 35.5 in CA, but has anyone ever had a legit 33.8 encounter in CA? If not, then I might just switch off band 2 for better response and fewer falses.

So is the advice to run 5 only, 5 and 8, or 2 and 5 and 8?

I have a video in RDF where there was a black unmarked crown Vic in Half Moon Bay running 33.8 but that is the only 33.8 I've ever picked up in CA. I still have no confirmation if it were a cop or not, so I would say running 5 is sufficient in the Bay and 5/8 is sufficient on the freeways. I would probably not risk it if venturing local in unfamiliar territory.

awj223
03-06-2015, 03:23 PM
I have a video in RDF where there was a black unmarked crown Vic in Half Moon Bay running 33.8 but that is the only 33.8 I've ever picked up in CA. I still have no confirmation if it were a cop or not, so I would say running 5 is sufficient in the Bay and 5/8 is sufficient on the freeways. I would probably not risk it if venturing local in unfamiliar territory.

Have you seen band 8 on freeways outside of the Bay Area but inside of California? And if so, was it CHP running it?

jdong
03-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Have you seen band 8 on freeways outside of the Bay Area but inside of California? And if so, was it CHP running it?

Yes, I've seen confirmed 35.5 from the U.S. Park Police inside Yosemite, as well as the blue DHS federal police vehicles near Golden Gate Bridge. They also sometimes run radar from Suburbans on 101 near SF. Those vehicles have the white conical Kustom antennas.

awj223
03-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Okay, so then I'm going to configure my ALP to scan only bands 5 and 8 for inside CA freeway driving. I also have another USB stick for travel on local roads in unfamiliar areas which has K band and Ka band 2 enabled as well (mainly for road trips - only used occasionally).

jdong
03-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Okay, so then I'm going to configure my ALP to scan only bands 5 and 8 for inside CA freeway driving. I also have another USB stick for travel on local roads in unfamiliar areas which has K band and Ka band 2 enabled as well (mainly for road trips - only used occasionally).

I presume HiFi doesn't announce frequencies? That's too bad -- I wish it would at least announce "Ka 5"

awj223
03-06-2015, 03:54 PM
I presume HiFi doesn't announce frequencies? That's too bad -- I wish it would at least announce "Ka 5"

It does not. I really need that AL Display so I can figure out what band I'm detecting.

I've twice detected Ka on N 1st Street in San Jose between 880 and Gish. I haven't a clue what band it's detecting, and it's been only one blip then gone. I'm going to try to enable Ka wideband on my STiR+ and see if it detects a stronger signal next time I drive through there.

jdong
03-06-2015, 03:56 PM
It does not. I really need that AL Display so I can figure out what band I'm detecting.

I've twice detected Ka on N 1st Street in San Jose between 880 and Gish. I haven't a clue what band it's detecting, and it's been only one blip then gone. I'm going to try to enable Ka wideband on my STiR+ and see if it detects a stronger signal next time I drive through there.

That's not far from where I live. I might swing by and investigate. I would not be surprised if that area has a Ka speed sign

awj223
03-06-2015, 04:04 PM
That's not far from where I live. I might swing by and investigate. I would not be surprised if that area has a Ka speed sign

Both times, right here: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.361099,-121.909016,3a,75y,331.09h,89.61t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sZgMeE6vVpZDA3i2v4-TGhg!2e0

Northbound, near the Holiday Inn.

awj223
03-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Both times, right here: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.361099,-121.909016,3a,75y,331.09h,89.61t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sZgMeE6vVpZDA3i2v4-TGhg!2e0

Northbound, near the Holiday Inn.

Drove through here after work with wideband Ka enabled on my STiR+. Went on both sides of N 1st, making two U-turns. Picked up nothing.

Clint Eastwood
03-07-2015, 10:06 AM

Likely scatter from CHP either on Hwy 880 or 101 nearby or the courthouse which is near there. CHP unit going to-from the courthouse leaving his unit on. See it all the time in Santa Cruz.

awj223
03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Yes, I've seen confirmed 35.5 from the U.S. Park Police inside Yosemite, as well as the blue DHS federal police vehicles near Golden Gate Bridge. They also sometimes run radar from Suburbans on 101 near SF. Those vehicles have the white conical Kustom antennas.

Are the DHS vehicles allowed to issue tickets on 101 and the GGB? All of the stories I've seen about people issuing tickets on the Golden Gate Bridge are about CHP.

Clint Eastwood
03-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Are the DHS vehicles allowed to issue tickets on 101 and the GGB? All of the stories I've seen about people issuing tickets on the Golden Gate Bridge are about CHP.

If DHS were issuing traffic tickets, we would hear about it on CNN. I seriously doubt it.

Clint Eastwood
03-07-2015, 10:25 AM
They might be doing it as an excuse to pull over a carload of suspected "illegals".

jdong
03-07-2015, 12:08 PM

I am not sure if they do. They certainly are "allowed" to -- California has an EXTREMELY broad definition of "Peace Officer", who are allowed to enforce CVC/CPC. And that even includes some railroad employees and DMV officers.

But will they randomly ticket you on 101? I doubt it. But they have radar for a reason. I presume they do have some enforcement duty near the Presidio, but it's always such a traffic jam there that I can't imagine speeding is even feasible.

The last time I was stuck there, I did see one of the white and blue Suburbans put on his lights and sirens and race towards the bridge but who knows why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awj223
03-07-2015, 12:51 PM
I am not sure if they do. They certainly are "allowed" to -- California has an EXTREMELY broad definition of "Peace Officer", who are allowed to enforce CVC/CPC. And that even includes some railroad employees and DMV officers.

But will they randomly ticket you on 101? I doubt it. But they have radar for a reason. I presume they do have some enforcement duty near the Presidio, but it's always such a traffic jam there that I can't imagine speeding is even feasible.

The last time I was stuck there, I did see one of the white and blue Suburbans put on his lights and sirens and race towards the bridge but who knows why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm...maybe they enforce limits in the Presidio itself (not on Doyle Drive or Park Presidio Blvd, but on the side roads) or more likely, in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, where it IS feasible to speed.