PDA

View Full Version : help with installation

ROCKEY
12-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Hey guys, I am new to this whole thread thing. I am looking for some feedback on the perfect placement of 3 ALP sensors on a Toyota tundra. I was advised 3 should be enough to cover the entire front however, not so sure it really covers the entire thing. I can't install between the grille as shown in the pic because it's part of the hood. I am thinking about installing them in a little crevice below the hood. My worry is not having coverage on the headlights since they will be installed lower. Any input would be helpful. Thanks :frusty:

kimberdan
12-06-2014, 09:18 PM
I would NOT put them in the bottom of the bumper, There good but not that good LoL, You would need to put them in the upper portion.... if that is NOT an option then i would suggest putting in the lower and get tested right away to be sure.
But i really dont think there going to cover you down there

Robotpedlr
12-06-2014, 09:29 PM
if the grill is part of the hood...can you run the wires down along the (underside of) hood, down the hinges to the firewall. So opening and closing the hood is an option.

Tman
12-06-2014, 09:35 PM
That would be my pick :

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 07:20 AM
Thanks. I thought about it and didn't really want to do it that way but, seems may be my best option. Thanks again, this helps

FJR1300
12-07-2014, 07:55 AM
When YC or BRD sees this thread they'll be able to let you know if the lower position is possible.
But, iirc, the center head needs to be on a higher or lower plane than the other two sensors due to interference issues.
One of RALETC guys or BRD will be along to help shortly I'm sure.

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Appreciate the feedback.

vbmx
12-07-2014, 08:04 AM
if the grill is part of the hood...can you run the wires down along the (underside of) hood, down the hinges to the firewall. So opening and closing the hood is an option.

I'd be afraid that impact of closing the hood would adversely affect the heads (placement going out of whack overtime)..

I suppose that if you close the hood gently, it shouldn't matter..

L&R
12-07-2014, 08:07 AM
That would be my pick :

X2 the best location.

AirMoore
12-07-2014, 09:05 AM
I would do the following:

The only area of concern being the fog-lights. With that said... the massive front-chrome grill on that thing makes for an attractive target, and I can't see him shooting anything other than CM (and maybe HL if he is a real shooter). Personally, I like the one in the lower grille area (right dead CM by that massive chrome bumper, but thats just me).

Maybe do some testing and fiddle-around with placement of the sensors in the upper-grille (+/- a few grille slots).

To be 100% honest, even though the ALP is exceptional, I would likely run a 4-head set-up towards the "4 corners" (if it were my truck). Now, I know people will be on here saying "That's not needed with the ALPs"... and you'd be right, but for my own, personal, piece of mind... just what I would do.

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks man! Great insight

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Great! Thanks

TurboDriver
12-07-2014, 10:05 AM
So even though this is a big shiny truck you can still have great protection even with a few weak spots, let me explain.

The most likely first or initial shot from LEO will be front and center, that big grill shouts "hey look at me". You will likely have a few seconds before the shooter starts panning around to get a lock and makes it over to lights or fogs. A good slow and kill (JTK) should be accomplished by then, and you're good to go.

We strive to get jam to gun (JTG) in testing, and that is great for peace of mind, but in the real world a few seconds is all we really need or all we should really use.

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 10:23 AM
So even though this is a big shiny truck you can still have great protection even with a few weak spots, let me explain.

The most likely first or initial shot from LEO will be front and center, that big grill shouts "hey look at me". You will likely have a few seconds before the shooter starts panning around to get a lock and makes it over to lights or fogs. A good slow and kill (JTK) should be accomplished by then, and you're good to go.

We strive to get jam to gun (JTG) in testing, and that is great for peace of mind, but in the real world a few seconds is all we really need or all we should really use.

Thanks! :roflmfao:

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 10:25 AM
I would NOT put them in the bottom of the bumper, There good but not that good LoL, You would need to put them in the upper portion.... if that is NOT an option then i would suggest putting in the lower and get tested right away to be sure.
But i really dont think there going to cover you down there

Thanks man! This helps

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 10:25 AM
That would be my pick :

Great! Appreciate your input

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Thank you!

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 10:28 AM
When YC or BRD sees this thread they'll be able to let you know if the lower position is possible.
But, iirc, the center head needs to be on a higher or lower plane than the other two sensors due to interference issues.
One of RALETC guys or BRD will be along to help shortly I'm sure.

Thanks

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 10:29 AM
I'd be afraid that impact of closing the hood would adversely affect the heads (placement going out of whack overtime)..

I suppose that if you close the hood gently, it shouldn't matter..

Great insight! Thanks

Tman
12-07-2014, 10:48 AM
From what i read , the heads perform better
when aligned horizontally in the same plane,
as per Tom's recipe....hope i learned well :-!

BestRadarDetectors
12-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Correct.. Is there a space above the chrome bumper? Is so using a triple would work well using the same lower marked images but mounting 3" or so higher if there is an opening there.

OrlNmE
12-07-2014, 12:38 PM
I had the same problem going through the grill and originally I used 3m Velcro to hold them in place. However for more stability, I created a bracket to mount the heads on. I hope the pics are visible and clear if not I can take a few more shots of them. 311631173118

OrlNmE
12-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Didn't take the 4th pic.

OrlNmE
12-07-2014, 12:44 PM
It's a bit messy looking but I have much more adjustments to make to it as well as needing to completely cover up all screws even though they are not visible outside of the truck. Bottom screws are just to hold bracket and I have top screws holding down the ALP bracket in place.

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 01:47 PM
It's a bit messy looking but I have much more adjustments to make to it as well as needing to completely cover up all screws even though they are not visible outside of the truck. Bottom screws are just to hold bracket and I have top screws holding down the ALP bracket in place.

Thanks for pics! That's a great idea

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 01:49 PM

Thanks Tman! I appreciate that you did further research on this.

ROCKEY
12-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Correct.. Is there a space above the chrome bumper? Is so using a triple would work well using the same lower marked images but mounting 3" or so higher if there is an opening there.

Thanks! I'll take that into consideration

ROCKEY
12-13-2014, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=ROCKEY;40679]Hey guys, I am new to this whole thread thing. I am looking for some feedback on the perfect placement of 3 ALP sensors on a Toyota tundra. I was advised 3 should be enough to cover the entire front however, not so sure it really covers the entire thing. I can't install between the grille as shown in the pic because it's part of the hood. I am thinking about installing them in a little crevice below the hood. My worry is not having coverage on the headlights since they will be installed lower. Any input would be helpful. Thanks :frusty:[/Q

Hey guys, any suggestions for 2 laser sensors, see pic

FJR1300
12-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Might want to black out your tag #.

If that black piece that the the plate attaches too is all plastic, you could cut a slot just wide and tall enough for the ALP bracket to go through and a hole just big enough for the connector and bolt the bracket behind the bumper area. From what I've seen in testing most people seem to go with a sensor each side of the plate (18" apart iirc) and have good results as long as you don't recess the heads. I'm sure that one of the RALETC guys will pop into your thread before too long and let you know the best location.

ROCKEY
12-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Might want to black out your tag #.

If that black piece that the the plate attaches too is all plastic, you could cut a slot just wide and tall enough for the ALP bracket to go through and a hole just big enough for the connector and bolt the bracket behind the bumper area. From what I've seen in testing most people seem to go with a sensor each side of the plate (18" apart iirc) and have good results as long as you don't recess the heads. I'm sure that one of the RALETC guys will pop into your thread before too long and let you know the best location.

Thank you very much

dukes
12-13-2014, 12:40 PM

I mounted mine on my pick up in similar fashion and have pretty decent performance. Unfortunately there are not many options for the rear of a pickup truck.

ROCKEY
12-13-2014, 02:14 PM

I mounted mine on my pick up in similar fashion and have pretty decent performance. Unfortunately there are not many options for the rear of a pickup truck.

Thank you very much :thumbs2:

OrlNmE
12-13-2014, 06:31 PM
The rear is very difficult to find a good spot. Here is what I ended up with. 3161

tawwwd
12-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Here is where I mounted the rears on my F150.

I just screwed the bracket to the raised part of the plastic bumper cover. Made sure to test first if the tailgate hit and there's tons of room. Just gotta remind people if they use the bumper as a step to watch out for them haha..

ROCKEY
12-13-2014, 07:26 PM
The rear is very difficult to find a good spot. Here is what I ended up with. 3161

thank you

ROCKEY
12-13-2014, 07:28 PM
[quote=rockey;41752