PDA

View Full Version : 12% of qld drivers admit to using rd

beingaware
12-02-2014, 04:11 PM
http://practicalmotoring.com.au/blogs/dont-flash-your-headlights-says-racq/

WE’VE PROBABLY ALL DONE IT, and when somebody does it for us, even if we’re not speeding, we appreciate their consideration. We’re talking about flashing the headlights to warn oncoming motorists of a speed trap.

Now it appears motorists are also using social media to increase their odds of not being caught.

RACQ conducted research that found 62% of Queensland motorists admitted flashing their headlights to warn other motorists of a speed camera or police speed checks, 12% regularly report the location of speed cameras to local radio stations, 11% said they used a mobile application such as Trapster to warn other drivers and 41% admitted to phoning friends, relatives and work colleagues to alert them.

In another interesting finding, 12% admitted to having a radar-detecting device in their cars, despite substantial penalties if caught in possession of one (a maximum of $4400 in Queensland).

Mike Sopinski of the RACQ tells motorists, “flashing lights at oncoming motorists is an offence. Although motorists who flash their lights may think they’re acting in good faith or exhibiting a type of motoring fraternity, they are clearly preventing the law from taking its correct and proper course.”

Of course, this raises a bit of a challenge for “the law” since speed cameras are always claimed as a safety device designed to slow drivers down. Flashing lights at oncoming motorists slows them down, so where’s the issue?

Then Sopinski stretches credibility beyond the limit. “Motorists are disregarding the law and subjecting themselves and other road users to possible danger by flashing their lights as it could distract oncoming drivers. Even a momentary loss of concentration can have fatal consequences, especially when vehicles are being driven at highway speeds.”

So how does he suggest motorists warn other motorists of a potential hazard such as a fallen tree or road incident ahead? And if a headlight flash constitutes a “distraction”, how much more dangerous a distraction is coming across a speed trap unexpectedly? Or having a patrol car thunder up behind you with its red-and-blues flickering and headlights flashing?

-------
My personal opinion:
People just clicked yes to rd for a laugh.
No way is it at 12%, even in WA where cms are legal.
Maybe 1-2%.

But it does certainly produce an interesting thought that there is maybe more people running cm then we expected...

Flashing your head lights to warn other road users is rare in qld and vic but I find nsw, sa and WA road users are very happy to flash.
I personally use uhf to warn others but would be nice seeing some flashing.
I think this whole safety camera joke is getting out of hand, they are mad about road users flashing because it can be distracting, what about the bright flash from the camera it's self?

lugnuts
12-02-2014, 07:12 PM
wow 12% of people actually admitted to using an RD in a banned area. I wonder what the actuall % of users are as I am sure many lied.

beingaware
12-02-2014, 08:45 PM
One way to find out.
Ka I/O on the freeway (;

lugnuts
12-02-2014, 08:48 PM
One way to find out.
Ka I/O on the freeway (;

haha! I would never have guessed so many use them, I dont think the % is as high in the US and for the most part they are legal.

beingaware
12-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Haha I say it's pretty rare.
I would say truck drivers would be more likely to use them then normal drivers...

busta
12-02-2014, 10:27 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-city/cars-vans-utes/2006-lexus-rx330-wagon/1063492994

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/slacks-creek/cars-vans-utes/f350-dual-cab-460-big-block/1062761208

Even advertise them for sale WTF

beingaware
12-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Lol seems like they would be detectable ones too.
Max error for them :/