PDA

View Full Version : First legit LIDAR hit in which I know I was the target

awj223
11-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Southbound Saratoga-Sunnyvale Road, right near the Safeway:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2810995,-122.0324454,3a,75y,177.16h,79.29t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLFSky3BnU7JVF3o1XkPBEQ!2e0

Driving in the rain, my ALPs suddenly start going off. Took a while to kill (3-4 seconds) because I was so surprised that they were going off at all, especially off the freeway. I had the ALPs in Pro Mode and the LED stayed lit continuously red, so I am sure I was the target. I look around and I see a Santa Clara County Sheriff's SUV and a stopped vehicle on the shoulder here. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2793037,-122.0323443,3a,75y,203.21h,70.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJ-1wM7-MjQSi2dvOP_Wcqw!2e0 There was an officer in uniform, as well as a non LEO (a woman from the stopped vehicle) who appeared to be holding a Marksman or Ultralyte LIDAR gun. I am not sure why the non LEO was shooting traffic.

Pulled the stats from my ALP and confirmed that it was an LTI gun. It appears that Santa Clara County Sheriffs may use LTI guns. Either that or the woman was a CM hobbyist and the LEO was called to check out what she was doing (which I find far less likely).

Tman
11-30-2014, 03:48 PM
It is common thinking that leos dont shoot in the rain or at least shoot less often.

Leos are like the postman ...nothing stops them :bull_head:

oddpedestrian
11-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Lti guns are everywhere so it probably was that. Don't be fooled by any inclement weather these days.

vbmx
11-30-2014, 05:34 PM
It's always great getting that first save!

Redman
11-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Yes. That first hit is usually least expected too :)

TurboDriver
11-30-2014, 08:48 PM
my ALPs suddenly start going off. Took a while to kill (3-4 seconds) because I was so surprised that they were going off at all, especially off the freeway.

The first hit I had, I was like...What the heck is that sound? Took me a second or two to realize it was the ALP's, I hadn't heard it before. The RedLine screamin' at me with a new sound added to the confusion!

awj223
11-30-2014, 09:47 PM
The first hit I had, I was like...What the heck is that sound? Took me a second or two to realize it was the ALP's, I hadn't heard it before. The RedLine screamin' at me with a new sound added to the confusion!

I've tested with the ALPs, so I wasn't entirely surprised by the sound. But it was the last thing I expected because I was on surface streets. Only thing I've ever gotten on surface streets before is an occasional weak Ka blip from the STi-R+. I was more like "What the heck is that sound? Oh, the ALPs. Oh, I'm being targeted by LIDAR! Yikes!"

hussein
11-30-2014, 11:42 PM
LOL congrats, bud!! I had my first hit three weeks ago and driven nearly 3000 miles since without being hit again.

kimberdan
12-01-2014, 06:16 AM
HAHA I have to agree, I was on the phone when i got my first save in GA and i was like UM... Whats that bright lite? Then my Redline went nuts and that when i realized i was getting painted!!!, i slowed and killed.
Ill Look for the video and repost here :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8uH-7Px_Mo

BestRadarDetectors
12-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Thanks for sharing. The first save is always a special one.

awj223
12-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Not sure if I'd count this as a "save", just as a hit.

1. The LEO wasn't shooting the gun, some random woman was, although the LEO was standing near her
2. I was only at PSL+3

JohnBoy
12-01-2014, 01:01 PM
It was probably some cute girl he had just pulled over for a ticket. She wanted to see how the lasergun works so he let her shoot your car. Funny thing is she probably said "it's not working" while she was shooting your car.

awj223
12-01-2014, 01:26 PM
It was probably some cute girl he had just pulled over for a ticket. She wanted to see how the lasergun works so he let her shoot your car. Funny thing is she probably said "it's not working" while she was shooting your car.

Well I know she eventually got a speed (after I JTKed). The LED continued to be lit for about 1 second after I killed, then the LIDAR stopped. She was probably confused about why it took longer to get my car's speed compared to the others though. I did notice that she was looking at my car in a weird way when I went by. :)

hussein
12-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Well I know she eventually got a speed (after I JTKed). The LED continued to be lit for about 1 second after I killed, then the LIDAR stopped. She was probably confused about why it took longer to get my car's speed compared to the others though. I did notice that she was looking at my car in a weird way when I went by. :)

Hey man, maybe that was her trying to tell you she wanted to say w'sup! :eyebrows:

bkotyk
06-14-2015, 11:17 PM
I live in SF and commonly drive to the south bay for work. How often do you get hit in the SF Bay Area? Why did it take you so long to kill your ALP and what is the method for doing so? Additionally, one you kill it how long does it stay off for?

awj223
06-15-2015, 04:12 PM
I live in SF and commonly drive to the south bay for work. How often do you get hit in the SF Bay Area? Why did it take you so long to kill your ALP and what is the method for doing so? Additionally, one you kill it how long does it stay off for?

I've been hit 2 times in the last year. This particular time, it took a while for me to kill because it was completely unexpected -- I was on a city street, not on the freeway, and I wasn't even going very fast. You kill by hitting ANY button on the control pad, and once you kill, it stays off for as long as you're continuing to be shot. When you are NOT shot for 2-3 seconds continuously, it'll cycle back to defense mode (using the ALP settings I use).

bkotyk
06-16-2015, 02:12 AM
I think even as I passed the cop after killing the ALP, I'd try to shut it down just in case the cop follows me. To do this would you simply hold the left button down until it fully powers off?

dinkydi
06-16-2015, 02:17 AM
or fit a kill switch to cut power, fully armed again on switching back on

radargeek
06-16-2015, 06:42 AM
I think even as I passed the cop after killing the ALP, I'd try to shut it down just in case the cop follows me. To do this would you simply hold the left button down until it fully powers off?If the cop follows you, they aren't going to be shooting laser at you since it can only be used stationary. You're fine letting the jammer recycle on its own.

Some of us are "lucky" and only get hit every 3-4 years.

bkotyk
06-17-2015, 12:41 AM
Ahhhh good point. Then if you happen to get pulled over turn the car off and it kills the whole system. Sorry guys I'm a worry wart about getting busted with the system. If the cop notices the sensors I can show him that they're parking sensors since the system with GPS can be configured to turning laser off and doing parking sensors under a set MPH which is genius! There is no reason for him not to buy off on it.