PDA

View Full Version : Damaged ALP Head

ApexOnYou
09-22-2014, 05:13 PM
So I had a run in with a dead deer cresting a blind hill a few weeks ago.. One of my heads got ripped off the bumper and drug for 100' gouging the lens a bit. Am I SOL on this head or would these scratches not affect performance? (I have a feeling they will...)

Any input is greatly appreciated before I order another head.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r614/heliosmotorsports/ALP_Head_Damage.jpg

Also, obligatory damage shot (GORE WARNING)....

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r614/heliosmotorsports/E39_540i_Deer_FML.jpg

BestRadarDetectors
09-22-2014, 05:36 PM
I am sure your insurance company will cover the cost of a replacement head. 2nd picture is pretty nasty with some guts still on the car. Those scratches on the head look real deep and dont think anything will buff them out. Even if not scratched I would not trust the head to perform well after being hit and dragged on the ground.

busta
09-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Oh Dear ")

ApexOnYou
09-22-2014, 06:23 PM
I am sure your insurance company will cover the cost of a replacement head. 2nd picture is pretty nasty with some guts still on the car. Those scratches on the head look real deep and dont think anything will buff them out. Even if not scratched I would not trust the head to perform well after being hit and dragged on the ground.

Thanks for the input, honestly even hearing one person put doubt in the head makes me not trust it now. I will add it to the insurance claim, it is just a "parking aid for safety" after all.

My adjuster has been somewhat difficult with properly appraising things (keeps picking aftermarket parts, not going to fly on my car) so fingers crossed.

BestRadarDetectors
09-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the input, honestly even hearing one person put doubt in the head makes me not trust it now. I will add it to the insurance claim, it is just a "parking aid for safety" after all.

My adjuster has been somewhat difficult with properly appraising things (keeps picking aftermarket parts, not going to fly on my car) so fingers crossed.

There is no ALP Sensor that is aftermarket and I doubt they will want to replace the whole system when they can replace just a sensor for much less. Not sure who you purchased it from but it should be easier enough to get a quote for a new sensor for the insurance company.

ApexOnYou
09-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Sorry for being vague, I meant that the adjuster has been trying to push aftermarket replacement parts for the car itself. I bought the system direct from ALPUSA through my shop so I will be putting a single sensor at MSRP down. Helps when your shop is the one doing the authorized repair work!

Tman
09-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Since the Irt is not damaged in front of the emitting diode i am confident the performance
is not affected.

Though the receiving bulge is scratched badly i am sure the loss is minimal if not even zero.

Nevertheless i would change it for peace of mind and keep it as a third head back or front.

Did you have a chance to test it in parking mode ?

If you ever decide to thow it in garbage ...i am ready to pay for shipping cost ...:courage:2609

kimberdan
09-22-2014, 07:07 PM
All i can say is GOOD GOD man, I have totaled many cars from hitting dear but Man i have never seen anything like that.. Now to the question, I would have to agree with Tom, if it was dragged? think about the impact of that head bouncing off the pavement? I personally would not trust it.

ApexOnYou
09-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Since the Irt is not damaged in front of the emitting diode i am confident the performance
is not affected.

Though the receiving bulge is scratched badly i am sure the loss is minimal if not even zero.

Nevertheless i would change it for peace of mind and keep it as a third head back or front.

Did you have a chance to test it in parking mode ?

If you ever decide to thow it in garbage ...i am ready to pay for shipping cost ...:courage:

It definitely still works in parking mode, it started blaring PDC tones at me right after impact as the head was dragging on the ground. I want to get some form of LIDAR gun soon to test installs so I will see if I can polish the nicks out and use it for a rear or third head or something.

All i can say is GOOD GOD man, I have totaled many cars from hitting dear but Man i have never seen anything like that.. Now to the question, I would have to agree with Tom, if it was dragged? think about the impact of that head bouncing off the pavement? I personally would not trust it.

Yeah it was a fun 4+hrs pulling meat out of the chassis on the rack... Current damage total is around $6k but no frame damage!

The damage was definitely from the head bouncing around. Any idea if these can be opened or are they epoxied shut?

Tman
09-22-2014, 10:12 PM
'' Any idea if these can be opened or are they epoxied shut? ''

I think it is a dead end ...i experienced this with a Li head ...i had to grind all around
to access the front lens.

I would not try to buff , just leave it as is , infrared pass thru so easily ...the most essential part was saved :
the plastic in front of the emitter.

The most important : you get out safe and sound :positive:

ApexOnYou
09-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the input, I will take a razor to the goober in the upper left so it isn't a noticeable eye sore.

Nicholat
09-23-2014, 07:51 AM
IMO, I would replace it, but would conceder using it as a 3 head in your setup, if you have a 2 head setup and get it tested out.

BestRadarDetectors
09-23-2014, 08:00 AM
IMO, I would replace it, but would conceder using it as a 3 head in your setup, if you have a 2 head setup and get it tested out.

Seriously dont use it. If you can get insurance company to replace it do it. There is no telling what internal damage was done to the head being dragged and having it bouncing around on the ground. It might fail if it has not failed when you need it the most. I would not trust it even if it was in perfect cosmetic condition.

ApexOnYou
09-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Not even as a third head?

BestRadarDetectors
09-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Not even as a third head?

Every head in a setup plays an important role since they all communicate with each other. You need to depend on each head and if one fails if hit with a VPS Gun that one head can have an adverse effect on all the others.

ApexOnYou
09-24-2014, 02:44 AM
Ok that makes sense now.