PDA

View Full Version : Police slam speed stunt: Melbourne to Sydney in 6.5 hours

beingaware
09-16-2014, 04:47 PM
I say good on them for proving that modern cars, when driven correctly can travel safely at higher speeds in Australia.

Story here: http://mobile.news.com.au/national/police-slam-speed-stunt-melbourne-to-sydney-in-65-hours/story-fncynjr2-1226720458018

Pretty impressive they didn't get tagged on the Hume but with the focus on deploying speed cameras in zones where there isn't crash history but has a high revenue stream seems to be the order between Melbourne and Sydney.
Honestly surprised that the police didn't do a better job on the actual freeway where people do crash. (Usually from distraction/alcohol/trucks rather then speed).

I'm all for speed enforcement in school zones, road work zones and residential roads.
But the low 100/110kph (roughly 60/65mph) limit with the 3kph leeway is just getting beyond a joke.
The nation 110kph limit was applied due to safety concerns in the 60/70s, but we are now in an age of ultra safe cars, higher speeds are just as safe as lower speeds.

They often float the idea of 130kph for the M1 but the traffic branch seems to always road blocks the proposed changes...

dinkydi
09-16-2014, 05:09 PM
yep thats a good point over in the UK they used to have a bit of flexibility 70 mph was the limit but rarely got a ticket if you drove between 70 mph /80 mph which keeps u alert more , here follow mi leader Sheep ticket mania

GHZ1
09-16-2014, 05:17 PM
They slammed it because they didn't do the job of policing the highway. Just goes to show put the fear of god into the peasants then Minimal effort to consolidate the fear.

beingaware
09-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Thats it.

The Police are embarrassed that they guys slipped by...
Which means many others are too!

curmudgeon
09-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Expect increased enforcement on that stretch of road for a few months

dinkydi
09-17-2014, 06:28 PM
yep more sheep ,follow mi leader

Tman
09-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Leos and politicians will never be honest about speed : speeding intelligently is good\safe\smart.

Problem with speed : we will never know how many lives it saved.

Till they come to reason , we will spend all our intelligence to avoid the guillotine.

beingaware
09-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Mmm, last time I had to a country run, I was able to sit above the speed limit for most of the 1100km trip, and to be honest, I was much more alert then when I was going through towns at the PSL.
What was also amusing was the lack of police on that major trucking route.

So I do say they work on using fear for compliance.
Surprisingly the people who die in high speed crashes are usually the ones that are drunk or distracted.

curmudgeon
09-18-2014, 04:56 PM
the people who die in high speed crashes are usually the ones that are drunk or distracted.

or just incompetent drivers anyway

beingaware
09-19-2014, 04:56 AM
Yes which is about 90% of Australian drivers. Since driving in euro land, Australian drivers scare me.