PDA

View Full Version : Unintentionally found a good way to practice JTK

awj223
07-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Was coming northbound on Highway 87 in San Jose, just before the Taylor Street ramps, when my ALP started alerting. I was at 85 mph at the time, and didn't even think, just reacted, and was on the brakes almost immediately, dropping to 61 mph and executing a 3 second JTK. I immediately scanned the ramps and the area under the overpass for the LEO, but saw none. The cars behind me all slowed considerably, probably wondering what I had seen :)

It wasn't until I passed underneath the ramps that I realized: wasn't what I just heard a Poliscan alert? Hadn't I disabled Poliscan? Pulling the log file from the ALP confirmed my suspicion: I forgot to disable Poliscan before I downloaded the last config file! Oops. Definitely got my pulse rate up as I thought I had a legit PSL+20 save. Instead, it was just a Poliscan false (Poliscan isn't even used in my area). Wonder if the Sun being low in the sky had anything to do with it.

Vortex
07-03-2014, 03:52 PM
haha! Looks like your JTK skills are getting a little practice which is always a good thing. ;)

Do you have a dashcam by chance? My HP-905's would false to the Poliscan from Volvos before I turned off Poliscan alerts and it's possible that you experienced something similar. I'm not sure if it's the HID's or a laser based safety system, but I guess one of the two must look very similar to the Poliscan's pulses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1C5FPrJQWQ

awj223
07-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have a dash cam, so I can't review footage to see what cars were around. I did get sporadic Poliscan falses though, with seemlingly no rhyme or reason why they'd happen when they did. Maybe it is indeed other cars causing the falses. I've even gotten falses while stopped at traffic signals before.

I'm not sure from how far away Volvos can cause falses, but I did see a red LED and there was very little traffic in front of me, so I'm really not sure if it was another car that caused it. Maybe a Volvo on the offramp, up near the overpass (this is a single point urban interchange so cars on the ramp sit overlooking the freeway somewhat).

Tman
07-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Poliscan pub :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O5368tjcmY#t=85

Better a scary false !

deano
07-05-2014, 04:54 AM
poliscan whats that ?

64pvolvo1800
07-06-2014, 05:37 AM
Is Poliscan even used in US? It seems I get this when I pass infinity s
Can we turn it off here?

dukes
07-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Is Poliscan even used in US? It seems I get this when I pass infinity s
Can we turn it off here?

I believe that they use the Poliscan in Maryland, but beyond that I am unaware of locations.

64pvolvo1800
07-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Well I only hit there once a year. I'll prob kill it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dukes
07-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Well I only hit there once a year. I'll prob kill it then.

Yep, I disabled mine as well. Its rare that it goes off, but I don't like my equipment crying wolf.

64pvolvo1800
07-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Agreed. It seems like it latches on forever too. Thabks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dukes
07-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Should be noted, those in Maryland. http://www.mddriversalliance.org/2011/03/citations-may-reveal-indications-of.html