PDA

View Full Version : Weird ALP Issues Continue

brettzo
04-30-2014, 12:39 AM
The Bluetooth module went through a phase of not pairing with my smartphone, however has seem to have gone away and now connects each time I start my vehicle and have the app running on my device. I now have an even bigger issue. One of my rear heads doesn't fire. When I had initially installed, all heads were firing, as well as functioning in parking mode. I now test each head on my quad and one head on the rear will not respond to my hand being placed in front of it in parking mode. All other heads respond with a beeping tone from the parking sensor. I have also tested with an LI handheld lidar tester, firing directly on each head and have also tested with my Ultralyte. All heads fire, aside from one in the rear. What's even more odd is the only way that I can get the rear head to respond again is by swapping the extension cable cords from the rear left to right and vise versa while the CPU is powered on. As soon as I do this, all heads respond in parking mode, as well as fire when testing with lidar. When I turn my vehicle off and then back on, the opposite head fails to respond to parking mode/fire with lidar.

I'm wondering if my system is a lemon due to the initial BT module issue. It's odd in that I know a couple of people locally who have an ALP and have yet to duplicate the same issue.

BT module issue thread:

http://radarandlaserforum.com/showthread.php/4327-ALP-BT-Module-Bug

I am working with Alex at kmph and is great to deal with, but thought I'd post to see if anyone had ideas as to what may be going on. I should point out that I have also tried to reinstall firmware, settings and Cset multiple times and the issue persists. Tonight I also tried removing the BT module and plugging in the Cset module. Same thing happens. I then swap the extension cables and all heads fire/respond in parking mode again. As soon as I turn off my vehicle and then turn back on, the rear head immediately dies again until I swap the extension cables. I have look at the pins on the connector and all look in tact.

My ALP is wired to a dedicated accessory fuse and only turns on when my vehicle has been started and of course shuts down when the vehicle isn't running. It does not run until I actually start up my vehicle.

Could this be an extension cable issue, head issue, CPU issue or multiple? I do know that BMW electronics can be touchy as well, but don't see it impacting this issue specifically. I'm having a little bit of bad luck and hoping to resolve sooner than later!

Holla
04-30-2014, 01:03 AM
Sounds like to me a CPU issue! I would have him ship you a new CPU and see how it goes.

brettzo
04-30-2014, 01:11 AM
Sounds like to me a CPU issue! I would have him ship you a new CPU and see how it goes.

This is my suspicion, but the distributor doesn't seem to think so. I think I will have it replaced if they agree, as I've had two very odd issues now that no one else seems to be having.

Holla
04-30-2014, 01:36 AM
Yes from what you just said def I think CPU. You even took the BT out of the picture--have him send u CPU I bet all will be better.

melbVt
04-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Hmm Ive tested mine using a LI with new firmware no issue may be CPU !

BestRadarDetectors
04-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Could be various things. First run a sensor check to see if the sensor is showing that its attached. If not swap a head with another cable, Do a sensor re-learn and then another sensor check to see if the head is still not showing. That will determine if its a cable or a head.

brettzo
04-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Restored to default and powered on. Powers on with the red LED and 5 second error tone. Then completes the power cycle and goes to defense mode (blue). Test each head, including sensor check (4 beeps = 4 heads). Rear still does not respond in parking mode. Swap extension cables again and fixes the issue temporarily, all heads respond. Turn off vehicle and restart. Receive the 5 second red LED and beeping (connection error).

I then uploaded settings, firmware and Cset updates again. Uploads correctly and powers on to defense mode. Check each head and all respond in parking mode. Turn off vehicle, turn back on. 5 second red LED and beeping (connection error). Swap extension cables around for rear, fixes the issue again temporarily. Turn off vehicle then on and repeats the same error time and time again...

I am sending this CPU back. I've spent far too much $ and time troubleshooting in hopes for the issue to go away and don't think it will at this point. There is some sort of a defect, whether head, or CPU. I'll start with the CPU and if the issue still exists I know its a head, or extension cable.

Man oh man, how frustrating.

brettzo
04-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Talked to the Alex at KMPH again today. He will be sending a new CPU for testing and has been amazing to deal with.

Will post results.

Holla
04-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Talked to the Alex at KMPH again today. He will be sending a new CPU for testing and has been amazing to deal with.

Will post results.

Awesome hope that fixes it--

brettzo
05-03-2014, 12:39 AM
So far seems like the new CPU has fixed the issue, but will monitor for a few days.

BIG shout out to Alex @ kmph for the best service that I've seen in a very long time! Was diligent, responsive and excellent to deal with to resolve the issues that I was experiencing.

curmudgeon
05-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Was diligent, responsive and excellent to deal with to resolve the issues that I was experiencing.

Very good to hear