PDA

View Full Version : ALPR systems in use in Police Cars

Radarrob
04-20-2014, 10:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKXp5FxVBDA

Mirage
04-20-2014, 11:17 AM
I think I spotted one of the units on a Bellaire Police car yesterday. I didn't know what it was, but thought it was strange because it was pointed towards oncoming traffic. Only on one side of the vehicle too which was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76z7RDxscfo

Radarrob
04-20-2014, 11:37 AM
I think I spotted one of the units on a Bellaire Police car yesterday. I didn't know what it was, but thought it was strange because it was pointed towards oncoming traffic. Only on one side of the vehicle too which was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76z7RDxscfoYup that's one of them.He is scanning parking lot.

Mirage
04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Yup that's one of them.He is scanning parking lot.

Cool didn't know at first because I only observed the rear of it and it looked somewhat like a radar unit, but apparently Bellaire has too much money and has now equipped their cars with ALPR. Wonder if they have any stationary ones at the stop lights.

Radarrob
04-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Cool didn't know at first because I only observed the rear of it and it looked somewhat like a radar unit, but apparently Bellaire has too much money and has now equipped their cars with ALPR. Wonder if they have any stationary ones at the stop lights.Good ?. I'm not aware of them on or near stop signs by me.

Mirage
04-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Good ?. I'm not aware of them on or near stop signs by me.

Reviewed the video footage from yesterday and didn't find anything like in your OP video.

RedRocket
04-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Cool didn't know at first because I only observed the rear of it and it looked somewhat like a radar unit, but apparently Bellaire has too much money and has now equipped their cars with ALPR. Wonder if they have any stationary ones at the stop lights.Well now,they couldn't have THAT MUCH extra $$$$ b/c every cruiser I've seen in the NorthEast has "Duals" on the trunk...I'd say Bellaire is doing it on the cheap requiring 2 passes if double rows in parking lots.

Mirage
04-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Well now,they couldn't have THAT MUCH extra $$$$ b/c every cruiser I've seen in the NorthEast has "Duals" on the trunk...I'd say Bellaire is doing it on the cheap requiring 2 passes if double rows in parking lots.

If it was a large city then yes I would say that, but Bellaire is an un-annexed city within the Houston City limits. It encompasses about 16 sq blocks and has a population of 17K in 2012. The mean income is $150K with mean homes in the 500K range. So considering the number of vehicles and the population its surprising they are running ALPR's when the City of Houston is NOT. (at least to my knowledge).

RedRocket
04-20-2014, 07:32 PM
So considering the number of vehicles and the population its surprising they are running ALPR's when the City of Houston is NOT. (at least to my knowledge).Really,they're NOT ?
I would have guessed for sure in the 5th Ward of Houston,especially.But I guess you don't visit those parts do you,certainly not w/ what you drive.That would likely invite a car-jacking at gun point.

Mirage
04-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Really,they're NOT ?
I would have guessed for sure in the 5th Ward of Houston,especially.But I guess you don't visit those parts do you,certainly not w/ what you drive.That would likely invite a car-jacking at gun point.

5th ward no way. I do go through Bellaire quite a bit. It resides around a major artery in Houston so I'm sure that's why, but I haven't seen these devices in HPD vehicles. Yet.

kimberdan
07-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Well, Down in cape coral Fl and fort myers FL they are starting to pop up, I have seen a few CCPD and a few FMPD and a few LCSO cars with them, I have also noted that all along I75 there are these cameras when getting on and getting off of the Highway..
I always COVER my face and flip the sunvisor down. It is a good thing in theory, But a total invasion of my privacy!!! If your car is stolen and this helps great, but what about people like myself that are NOT criminals? we just have to suffer?