PDA

View Full Version : DIY Parking/jam mode switch

MagicOnline
04-19-2014, 08:29 AM
DIY Parking/jam mode switch

In some situations there is no time to swap the USB thumb drive out when you where targetted by the police.
In a lot of countries (I'm in Europe) jammers are highly illegal, if they pull you to the side of the road and they see that the ALP is still in jamming mode/capability you will lose the ALP and get a HUGE fine!

If the ALP is in parking mode only they can't do anything as it is fully approved for that operation (E mark)
Therefore I made a Parking/jam mode toggle switch that allows me to change mode on the flip of a switch :)

Before you continue:
I'm not responsible for anything if something goes wrong, so continue at your own risk!
Be sure everything is connected properly and tested before you hook it up to your ALP! (I suggest you test it on an old PC before you connect it to your ALP)

What do you need:

1 MINI SWITCH 3 POSITIONS 4 CIRCUITS. (if you don't have a soldering iron you can get a switch with screw connections/terminals)
2 USB extension cables. (for the USB thumb drives)
1 regular USB cable (or get 3 USB extension cables) I used an old printer cable.
Ty-rap and/or a peace of electrical tape

1). Cut of the primary sides of the USB extension cables (don't cut the side where your USB thumb drive connects to!)
2). Cut of the secondary side of the other USB cable (you keep the side that fits in to your ALP's control box!)
3). Remove 1.5 inch or 4cm insulation from the USB cables, and strip a small part (2 or 3 mm) of the wires.
4). Solder or screw the cable that connects to the ALP's control box to the middle/center row of the mini switch, the correct wire order is>> red/white/green/black
5). Solder or screw the cables for the USB thumb drives on the left and right side of the mini switch (keep the same color order as the center row!)
6). Solder and/or wrap all the grounds/Shielding from the USB cables to each other.

I used a small ty-rap and a peace of electrical tape to secure the cables.

Switch I used:
http://s27.postimg.org/j3lbv38oz/Tumbler_4_W_blauw_Soldeer.jpg

In the end you should have something like:
http://s16.postimg.org/edlpjyfhf/pdc_jam.png

Total costs: around $15 (without the thumb drives)

Still to do: Build it into my car.

Maybe it's usefull for others :)