PDA

View Full Version : Another First for AntiLaser

BestRadarDetectors
04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
The standard for cabling for Laser Jammers has been Din Connectors and they work well if customers install them properly. When you receive sensors from AntiLaser they come with a waterproof shrink tubing to go over the Din connector joint. Instructions state that customers are supposed to heat the shrink tubing over the connection and it shrinks to make the connection water and moisture proof. Most customers ignore this step which leads to communication failures.

If you installed your heads without this step please take a few minutes to protect your cabling and install the shrink tubing on the connection.

Going Forward AntiLaser will be introducing new waterproof connectors.

The new cables are certified to IP67 standards

IP stands for 'Ingress Protection'

An IP number is used to specify the environmental protection of enclosures around electronic equipment. These ratings are determined by specific tests.
The IP number is composed of two numbers, the first referring to the protection against solid objects and the second against liquids. The higher the number, the better the protection.

First Number

0 - No protection (Sometimes X)
1 - Protected against solid objects up to 50mm³
2 - Protected against solid objects up to 12mm³
3 - Protected against solid objects up to 2.5mm³
4 - Protected against solid objects up to 1mm³
5 - Protected against dust, limited ingress (no harmful deposit)
6 - Totally protected against dust

Second Number

0 - No protection (Sometimes X)
1 - Protection against vertically falling drops of water (e.g. condensation)
2 - Protection against direct sprays of water up to 15 degrees from vertical
3 - Protection against direct sprays of water up to 60 degrees from vertical
4 - Protection against water sprayed from all directions - limited ingress permitted
5 - Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions - limited ingress permitted
6 - Protected against low pressure jets of water, limited ingress permitted (e.g. ship deck)
7 - Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m
8 - Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure

Your sensor wires will never see anything more than this level of protection unless you crash your car into the ocean and it sinks. At that point I think there would be more to worry about than your sensor cables.

radargeek
04-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Great idea. Not everyone has something handy to shrink heatshrink tubing, people forget, or the location where the connector is precludes heating the tubing, and then what happens when you transfer your install into a new car? Buy another piece of heatshrink tubing? As an electronics geek I have a ton of the stuff but most people don't.

A reusable waterproof connector solves the problem. Kudos to ALP. :)

wolfpacal
04-15-2014, 02:16 PM
The installer that did my two vehicles used the shrinktube that came with the heads. He was glad they were included.

kasher1979
04-15-2014, 02:22 PM
This is great. Will my system have this option or will I have to use the shrink tubing? (sorry for the question, guess YC wins his bet) :nevreness:

kasher1979
04-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Great idea. Not everyone has something handy to shrink heatshrink tubing, people forget, or the location where the connector is precludes heating the tubing, and then what happens when you transfer your install into new car? Buy another piece of heatshrink tubing? As an electronics geek I have ton of the stuff but most people don't.

reusable waterproof connector solves the problem. Kudos to ALP. :)

I usually wrap my connectors in black electrical tape very well, which pretty much serves same purpose..... But I like this idea so nothing has to be used and it is sealed.

BestRadarDetectors
04-15-2014, 02:24 PM
This is great. Will my system have this option or will I have to use the shrink tubing? (sorry for the question, guess YC wins his bet) :nevreness:

Starting tomorrow all units shipped from us with have the new wiring. So yes your unit will come with the new connectors.

kasher1979
04-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Starting tomorrow all units shipped from us with have the new wiring. So yes your unit will come with the new connectors. :excitement:

Awesome!!! One more question..... just kidding. lol

You guys have to let me make fun of myself so you won't have to.

Nicholat
04-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Water/moisture could be a big problem with all "you-guys" up north. More snow I hear coming your way. I believe waterproof connector been around for some time now. Maybe ALP is thinking there system is going be around longer then the normal 3 year life cycle.

MagicOnline
04-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Water/moisture is also an issue for Europe's "wetlands" (Northern Europe) I hope the shrinktube on my alp protects the connection.
I'm pretty confident that alp will replace older sensors/cables in warranty for the revision ones if the old ones have water/moisture issues.

patsy1099
04-15-2014, 04:27 PM
I usually wrap my connectors in black electrical tape very well, which pretty much serves same purpose.....

You might think it does but it doesn't. If you wrap the heck out of something it might not ever let water through, especially during the lifetime of the item or car BUT using electrical tape is not the same as water tight connectors or shrink tubing. I'm sure you knew that already but just wanted to put an exclamation on it :lemo:

Holla
04-15-2014, 04:53 PM
That heat shrink ALP provides is some serious stuff, Its much better than black electrical tape as that is not gonna seal it like this stuff does. The sealed connectors are very nice though :) See I should have waited another week lol

ECMExpert
04-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Starting tomorrow all units shipped from us with have the new wiring. So yes your unit will come with the new connectors.

and what about us loyal "early adopters" that PUT a lot of trust and faith in ALP when introduced :)

BestRadarDetectors
04-15-2014, 05:21 PM
and what about us loyal "early adopters" that PUT a lot of trust and faith in ALP when introduced :)

You have had the best protection from the first day you purchased it and you should be proud of that.

dragons
04-15-2014, 05:53 PM
I never received any shrink tube with my heads only with one extension cable.

But now this is pointed out I might just use some electrical tape to seal the joints.

BestRadarDetectors
04-15-2014, 06:03 PM

But now this is pointed out I might just use some electrical tape to seal the joints.

It comes with every head in the box. Look in the bottom of the cartons there is a zip lock bag with cable ties and the shrink tubing.
When you purchase an extension cable they also include another piece for the additional connection.

Holla
04-15-2014, 06:04 PM

I got a piece with every cable and head--that's weird you didnt. Go buy some heat shrink because it will do a much better job than tape, I would not even bother with tape.

RigToFly01
04-15-2014, 06:49 PM
I wondered what that tubing was for. I think I have 3 left. If I don't can someone post a link of what I should buy? I need to do the 3 front heads as those connections are out near the elements. The rear head connections are deep inside the hatchback.

BestRadarDetectors
04-15-2014, 06:53 PM
I wondered what that tubing was for. I think I have 3 left. If I don't can someone post a link of what I should buy? I need to do the 3 front heads as those connections are out near the elements. The rear head connections are deep inside the hatchback.

All you need is a hair dryer or even a lighter an inch or so away to get it to shrink to an air tight seal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

kasher1979
04-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Yes shrink tubing is the best. But if something is supposed to be a waterproof connection anyway I always felt that wrapping it well in black tape would suffice. Like my STIR plus connection I seriously wrapped it in some black tape. I will probably unwrap it every year or two and redo for precaution though. Or next time I might try and get some shrink tubing for that.

radargeek
04-15-2014, 07:14 PM
I suppose if you really want to play it safe (belt & suspenders) use shrink tubing with the new connectors. Maybe overkill, but, if your install is staying put for a while it certainly can't hurt.

kimberdan
04-15-2014, 08:12 PM
since where all talking about tape and shrink tube, I have a question? why is 3M super 33 electrical tape bad to use? or better then the shrink tube?

dragons
04-15-2014, 11:43 PM
It comes with every head in the box. Look in the bottom of the cartons there is a zip lock bag with cable ties and the shrink tubing.
When you purchase an extension cable they also include another piece for the additional connection.
Just looked again... No shrink tube.

It doesn't matter one way or the other though.