PDA

View Full Version : Hey there from Edmonton, Canada.

dukes
04-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Hey all,

Some of you may recognize me from another forum. Looks like you guys have a nice community here and I am happy to Join! I am currently Running a Quad L.I. Front and Triple L.I. Rear. Along with a STiR Plus.
With that said, next week I am placing an order for the ALP as I do live where the dragon is in operation. I only have one concern and I was hoping to get some insight from forum members who do in fact run the ALP system.
I own a GMC Sierra 2010, so it is a big target. As it stands my system is JTG, however I am wondering if a 5 head system would be enough to cover my front and rear. I understand the detection of the ALP is very impressive compared to competitors.
Any advice would be great!

Yellowcab
04-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another familiar face. Feel free to participate in the discussions.

patsy1099
04-04-2014, 07:47 PM
From my reading of results a triple would cover your front just fine. Not sure on your rear with a dual. Would have to see a pic to see size and placement but I am optimistic. See you have such a big investment in LI you might want to wait and see what this announcement is in the next month or so. If you can't (or don't want to) wait. Go for it.

Oh yeah, welcome

dukes
04-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I have a couple buddies who want my L.I.s so I am not at loosing much. I am comfortable with running a triple up front as I have removed my chrome and reflective surfaces with plasti-dip. However I am unsure about the rear with two heads against the dragoncam. Here is my rear setup as of now, with has been testing. Its JFG, even tested against overpass shots, (which it seems the most of the photo lidar is taking place). It would be shame if I had to run two cpus, but money isnt a factor. Having said that, I dont want to spend a bunch if I do not have to.

EDIT: Sorry if I turned this intro into a question thread. I can open another if required.

Yellowcab
04-04-2014, 07:56 PM
An ALP dual on the rear will preform well.

dukes
04-04-2014, 07:58 PM
An ALP dual on the rear will preform well.

Great news! Thank you for the fast responses. I am super excited to explore all the ALP has to offer. Still unsure if I will run my plus separate or not however...

RigToFly01
04-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Welcome to RALF. I just did some testing with a 5 head setup. Check it out.

dukes
04-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Welcome to RALF. I just did some testing with a 5 head setup. Check it out.

Will do thanks!!

curmudgeon
04-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Welcome dukes. Glad you found us here. We need our Canadian forum to start competing with the Australian forum. (in a nice way) I think we have a quorum.

dinkydi
04-04-2014, 09:21 PM
hi Dukes welcome from down under

Tman
04-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Welcome Dukes , you will enjoy this place .

From few provinces to east Qc

wolfpacal
04-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Welcome, a 5 head ALP system should be sufficient and offer better protection than the LI (if properly installed) A 2 head rear ALP setup for the truck should be good. Where do they use the Dragon in AB?

RedRocket
04-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the Forum,dukes.It's nice to see another familiar face & Thank You for joining.If the DragonCam is in your area you definitely need AL Priority protection.
A "Triple"/Front & "Dual"/Rear will serve you well.Which are the Local LEO's more prone to target...Front or Rear ?

dukes
04-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Welcome to the Forum,dukes.It's nice to see another familiar face & Thank You for joining.If the DragonCam is in your area you definitely need AL Priority protection.
A "Triple"/Front & "Dual"/Rear will serve you well.Which are the Local LEO's more prone to target...Front or Rear ?

The Dragoncam photo lidar is used in Edmonton Alberta. Alberta only has rear plates so its from the rear, usually from an overpass. Most non photo enforcement is from the front.

RedRocket
04-04-2014, 11:39 PM
The Dragoncam photo lidar is used in Edmonton Alberta. Alberta only has rear plates so its from the rear, usually from an overpass. Most non photo enforcement is from the front.
Well,then this requires yet another ques. - if Speed Lidars are there w/ camera option...are Dragon standard Models(sans camera) used for Front/Rear speed enforcement,too?

FJR1300
04-05-2014, 03:44 AM
Welcome!
Be sure to read every sticky here on the ALP.

You'll find it all very helpful, register your system right away and then pm Tom with your serial # and selling dealer info. Then you'll have additional access to the confirmed alp owner forum for more detailed discussion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Laser Guided
04-05-2014, 06:08 AM
hey Dukes, good to see you here mate, from LG (laser Guided).

was a little disheartend from other forum but am gaining momentum again, glad you made it and look forward to some of the funny shit we got up to previous
:encouragement:

LI is still good system and i am running 3 quads, and wouldnt even consider ALP until all their heads worked in unison, so dont be put off by the amount of support for ALP. This is an open , unbiased forum that you will learn to love more than the other.

again mate, glad to see you here

dukes
04-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Well,then this requires yet another ques. - if Speed Lidars are there w/ camera option...are Dragon standard Models(sans camera) used for Front/Rear speed enforcement,too?

No, the only dragon in operation at the current moment is the dragoncam for photo enforcement. That is for now.... The leos use ultralyte lrb and pro laser 3/4s around here for normal enforcement.

Thanks so much for all the warm welcomes!

dukes
04-05-2014, 12:16 PM
hey Dukes, good to see you here mate, from LG (laser Guided).

was a little disheartend from other forum but am gaining momentum again, glad you made it and look forward to some of the funny shit we got up to previous
:encouragement:

LI is still good system and i am running 3 quads, and wouldnt even consider ALP until all their heads worked in unison, so dont be put off by the amount of support for ALP. This is an open , unbiased forum that you will learn to love more than the other.

again mate, glad to see you here

Yeah I know what you mean.....
Absolutely!! Good to see so many familiar faces! :D

"wouldnt even consider ALP until all their heads worked in unison"

Hmm I wasn't aware of that, so even if I wanted to run a quad up front I couldn't? I am assuming in a 5 head system, 3 would fire while the back 2 did not and vise versa?

BestRadarDetectors
04-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Yeah I know what you mean.....
Absolutely!! Good to see so many familiar faces! :D

"wouldnt even consider ALP until all their heads worked in unison"

Hmm I wasn't aware of that, so even if I wanted to run a quad up front I couldn't? I am assuming in a 5 head system, 3 would fire while the back 2 did not and vise versa?

That is not true, If a front head and a rear head received signal at the same time they would all fire back together. This has been discussed several times in the past and there are videos showing this in action. We have several members running Quads and even some Aussies that have all 5 heads on the same side.

http://youtu.be/SG7whdhI3Og

RedRocket
04-05-2014, 01:57 PM
No, the only dragon in operation at the current moment is the dragoncam for photo enforcement. That is for now.... The leos use ultralyte lrb and pro laser 3/4s around here for normal enforcement.In that case,you may want to consider 2 in the Front & 3 in the Rear for better defense against DragonCam.The dark color is very good for absorption of "some" of the IR photons, but the Speed Lidar has high output plus a sensitive/excellent receiver stage for returning signals.The LARGE Optics do gather considerable IR energy,too.

dukes
04-05-2014, 03:29 PM
In that case,you may want to consider 2 in the Front & 3 in the Rear for better defense against DragonCam.The dark color is very good for absorption of "some" of the IR photons, but the Speed Lidar has high output plus a sensitive/excellent receiver stage for returning signals.The LARGE Optics do gather considerable IR energy,too.

Hmm... Yeah at this point I am even considering ordering two systems, run a triple in the rear. Then either a quad or triple for the front.... its only a matter of time before they switch out the ultralytes I think.

Laser Guided
04-05-2014, 06:47 PM
That is not true, If a front head and a rear head received signal at the same time they would all fire back together. This has been discussed several times in the past and there are videos showing this in action. We have several members running Quads and even some Aussies that have all 5 heads on the same side.

http://youtu.be/SG7whdhI3Og

what you say is true,that AlP will protect front and rear simultaneously, but, they do not yet work like the li where if one head detects, that ALL the other heads fire as well .

BestRadarDetectors
04-05-2014, 06:57 PM
what you say is true,that AlP will protect front and rear simultaneously, but, they do not yet work like the li where if one head detects, that ALL the other heads fire as well .

There is no need to fire all heads if not needed. Why would the rear need to fire If you are hit from the front and vise versa. If all heads are on one the same side they will fire if needed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Laser Guided
04-05-2014, 07:19 PM
was just being informative cause i know dukes truck and setup. In my case they are needed . i have quad on the front and a quad on each side/rear that need to work in unison to protect from rear facing poliscan on a large vehicle. I dont believe aLp could protect my car until it makes those changes.

with rear poliscan you Must detect it first and flood it with all you got instantly, otherwise it will just find a hole and get your speed.

BestRadarDetectors
04-05-2014, 07:29 PM
was just being informative cause i know dukes truck and setup. In my case they are needed . i have quad on the front and a quad on each side/rear that need to work in unison to protect from rear facing poliscan on a large vehicle. I dont believe aLp could protect my car until it makes those changes.

with rear poliscan you Must detect it first and flood it with all you got instantly, otherwise it will just find a hole and get your speed.

Have you looked at the sensitivity tests? If you want them all to fire just put a Front & Rear on the same side of the car.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

melbVt
04-05-2014, 08:59 PM
welcome friend

max
04-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Welcome from Toronto...