PDA

View Full Version : Usb key for Alp : other files on ?

Tman
03-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Someone knows if we can place other files (pics\videos)
on a usb key and the setup.alp ?

Would the Cbox finds automatically the setup.alp ?

Thanks.

Yellowcab
03-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Someone knows if we can place other files (pics\videos)
on a usb key and the setup.alp ?

Would the Cbox finds automatically the setup.alp ?

Thanks.

No!

Tman
03-30-2014, 09:27 PM
No!

Good i asked !

Curious what would happen ?

Yellowcab
03-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Good i asked !

Curious what would happen ?

May not update properly.

awj223
03-30-2014, 11:16 PM
What's your question exactly?

I have a LOT of other files on my drive that I use to update the ALP. But in order to reprogram the ALP, you must have a file called "setup.alp" in the ROOT DIRECTORY (top level). The ALP will look for the file there. Never, ever had trouble updating. It will ignore all other files/directories except for "U<serial number>.bin", "setup.alp", and "UCSET.bin" in the root directory.

Tman
04-06-2014, 09:21 AM
What's your question exactly?

I have a LOT of other files on my drive that I use to update the ALP. But in order to reprogram the ALP, you must have a file called "setup.alp" in the ROOT DIRECTORY (top level). The ALP will look for the file there. Never, ever had trouble updating. It will ignore all other files/directories except for "U<serial number>.bin", "setup.alp", and "UCSET.bin" in the root directory.

You give me the answer to my question : there can be others files on the usb key , the cpu box will find the right ones among
the others.
Thanks.

BestRadarDetectors
04-06-2014, 09:24 AM
You give me the answer to my question : there can be others files on the usb key , the cpu box will find the right ones among
the others.
Thanks.

Guys you can get a USB Memory Drive for under $10, Recommendation to make sure there are no issues is to use an EMPTY usb drive for updates. There is no reason one should just not follow the recommendations and keep the piece of mind.

awj223
04-06-2014, 10:10 AM
The folks working on the ALP are obviously very skilled, as they have accomplished what no other jammer company has done, and quite frankly, writing a file parser isn't that difficult. In any case, reports from users are an important part of the debugging process for any product. Wouldn't it help the manufacturer improve the product if we actually DID store other files on the drive, and gave them a listing of the drive's file contents (not the files themselves but just the names) if we have trouble updating? If there are legitimate bugs in the product, they need to be found and fixed, not swept under the carpet by asking everyone to use an empty drive.

BestRadarDetectors
04-06-2014, 10:21 AM
The folks working on the ALP are obviously very skilled, as they have accomplished what no other jammer company has done, and quite frankly, writing a file parser isn't that difficult. In any case, reports from users are an important part of the debugging process for any product. Wouldn't it help the manufacturer improve the product if we actually DID store other files on the drive, and gave them a listing of the drive's file contents (not the files themselves but just the names) if we have trouble updating? If there are legitimate bugs in the product, they need to be found and fixed, not swept under the carpet by asking everyone to use an empty drive.

There is very heavy security on the ALP and the communication from the Firmware to the CPU is very well protected. Each unit gets specific firmware that will work only on that specific CPU, The file is checked for accuracy before the file is even accepted and once written to the CPU the file is also verified again. One bit of data will reject the update. Having other devices on your USB Drive will only prevent the CPU from doing what it does and if it does not see the data its looking for immediately you will not be able to update. Why not just follow the given recommendations? Its not too much to ask to make sure there are no issues updating.

Will it hurt your ALP having other files? No
Can it prevent your CPU from updating? Yes

Following guidelines not only makes sure everyone has no issues updating and also frees up our time from answering service calls from customers asking why they are having trouble updating.

Abarth695
04-06-2014, 03:48 PM
:whoo: Well,said.
Leave the forum and people's time for important issues.
Why can't people just follow the procedures which make it simple and say for everyone and won't waste people's time.

Tman
04-06-2014, 04:49 PM
:whoo: Well,said.
Leave the forum and people's time for important issues.
Why can't people just follow the procedures which make it simple and say for everyone and won't waste people's time.

Abarth , are you the new sheriff in town ?
So you can qualify what's important or not ...

I hope this is not a new trend here.

awj223
04-06-2014, 05:27 PM
There is very heavy security on the ALP and the communication from the Firmware to the CPU is very well protected. Each unit gets specific firmware that will work only on that specific CPU, The file is checked for accuracy before the file is even accepted and once written to the CPU the file is also verified again. One bit of data will reject the update. Having other devices on your USB Drive will only prevent the CPU from doing what it does and if it does not see the data its looking for immediately you will not be able to update. Why not just follow the given recommendations? Its not too much to ask to make sure there are no issues updating.

Will it hurt your ALP having other files? No
Can it prevent your CPU from updating? Yes

Following guidelines not only makes sure everyone has no issues updating and also frees up our time from answering service calls from customers asking why they are having trouble updating.

Well to answer your question, it's because I'm a software developer and a perfectionist :D

C'mon, I just paid well over $1000 for this thing. In addition to jamming the most guns out there, I also expect the software to work properly, and if there are bugs reported to the manufacturer, I expect those bugs to be fixed. If Yellowcab was having problems updating the ALP due to other files on the drive, this sounds like a legitimate bug that should be investigated, triaged, and fixed, the sooner the better. Pretending the problem doesn't exist and telling people to just use a blank drive is, IMHO, a cop out "solution" to the problem.

I understand your concern about service calls. May I recommend that if you find a bug in the ALP updating process, you flag it as a known issue as soon as you can identify the root cause, and post a description on the main update site @ alpupdate.com. Then people at least won't be surprised and won't bother calling in. More importantly, it lets us know that you're actually aware of the problem and are working on a solution.

BestRadarDetectors
04-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Well to answer your question, it's because I'm a software developer and a perfectionist :D

C'mon, I just paid well over $1000 for this thing. In addition to jamming the most guns out there, I also expect the software to work properly, and if there are bugs reported to the manufacturer, I expect those bugs to be fixed. If Yellowcab was having problems updating the ALP due to other files on the drive, this sounds like a legitimate bug that should be investigated, triaged, and fixed, the sooner the better. Pretending the problem doesn't exist and telling people to just use a blank drive is, IMHO, a cop out "solution" to the problem.

I understand your concern about service calls. May I recommend that if you find a bug in the ALP updating process, you flag it as a known issue as soon as you can identify the root cause, and post a description on the main update site @ alpupdate.com. Then people at least won't be surprised and won't bother calling in. More importantly, it lets us know that you're actually aware of the problem and are working on a solution.

There is NO BUG.. Recommendation is to use a blank USB memory drive. This is not much to ask and I will not spend more discussing it. When I buy a product I follow the simple instructions and there is no need to challenge them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk