PDA

View Full Version : Gps + alp

beingaware
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Curious question.

When the GPS mod comes out and we have our LIDAR set to shutdown under 20km etc, what will happen if there is no GPS signal or poor signal eg inside a downtown area?
Will the ALP just ignore the GPS or will it cause issues to LIDAR defense ?

dinkydi
03-19-2014, 05:48 PM
just a guess but, both the plus ant and the lider wont operate because they are below the threshold set

BestRadarDetectors
03-19-2014, 05:55 PM
just a guess but, both the plus ant and the lider wont operate because they are below the threshold set

I have not tested it yet but it should be the opposite. Protection takes priority over any feature and AL has always gone this way. If the GPS can not determine your speed it would not filter the alert. The same would be if you were under the set speed when you got hit and you just crossed over your speed setting, even though it was originally ignored it will alert and defend the moment you cross past the speed setting.

beingaware
03-19-2014, 06:12 PM
So as I said,

If I was in the city doing lets say 40KPH, but the buildings are messing with the GPS signal (I have often seen my tomtom be off by 2-3 streets showing me moving at 15KM).
What would happen then?
Defense mode would stay offline until it thought I was at 20KM? or would there be some way for it to work out that the SNR is low and it only has a lock on a small amount of G-SATS so it should disable the GPS filtering until a certain threshold was reached.
Or would it work it out based on accuracy of location, eg within 20m ok to filter, within 50m, disable filtering?
EG SNR + G-SAT Lock + accuracy = a point index which is high enough to reenable or disable GPS filtering?

FJR1300
03-19-2014, 07:27 PM
So as I said,

If I was in the city doing lets say 40KPH, but the buildings are messing with the GPS signal (I have often seen my tomtom be off by 2-3 streets showing me moving at 15KM).
What would happen then?
Defense mode would stay offline until it thought I was at 20KM? or would there be some way for it to work out that the SNR is low and it only has a lock on a small amount of G-SATS so it should disable the GPS filtering until a certain threshold was reached.
Or would it work it out based on accuracy of location, eg within 20m ok to filter, within 50m, disable filtering?
EG SNR + G-SAT Lock + accuracy = a point index which is high enough to reenable or disable GPS filtering?

Sounds like BRD is saying it most likely will perform as if there were no pre-defined speed limit, like Savvy does I'd guess.

Antilaser
03-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Sounds like BRD is saying it most likely will perform as if there were no pre-defined speed limit, like Savvy does I'd guess.

That is right. If you have GPS enabled but your GPS mouse is unpluged/or GPS signal is not locked - your ALP will behave as if your GPS setting is disabled. If your antenna is plugged in and GPS signal is locked ALP will use speed reading that it gets from GPS whatever it may be.