PDA

View Full Version : STI-R Plus Install

kasher1979
02-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Many of you that have seen my install know I have recently installed an STI-R Plus Unit, which I am LOVING! I do need help with one thing that I may or may not have to modify. What I have done is use the bracket to mount to the roof with 3M tape. The bracket is taped with the 3M tape to the roof of vehicle as well as the top of the bracket is taped to the bottom of the luggage rail as well. I actually had to remove the luggage rail and clamp it back down onto the Antenna mounting bracket since it is a very snug fit anyway. My question is will the 3M tape hold this or should I look into getting some screws to screw down into the roof. I would rather not do it, but I don't want to loose my antenna to the wind. lol I must say it is solid as a rock up there right now. I thought about simply putting a zip tie around the rail and the top portion of the bracket just as a precautionary measure. Just curious what you guys think. My LI heads are also on the front with the 3M tape and they are also solid as a rock.

Thanks!

radargeek
02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
It should be ok, worst case if it breaks loose it won't go far due to the cable.

If you want more peace of mind, use some zip ties.

I've heard the 3M tape sets up good when heated up, so if it's cold, I'd put a hairdryer to it for a minute or two.

Salty
02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
IMO the 3M tape will be fine, but I'd still put a ziptie through it just in case.

kasher1979
02-25-2014, 01:23 PM
IMO the 3M tape will be fine, but I'd still put a ziptie through it just in case. OK that makes me feel better to hear someone experienced as you say you have that much confidence in the 3M Tape. Like you said I think I will slip a zip tie on there though.

RedRocket
02-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Plastic ties will degrade over time when exposed continuously to UV light(unless UV stablized w/ carbon black).I'd recommend changing them w/ new ones on a yearly basis.

Holla
02-25-2014, 04:52 PM
How is your plus compared to the redline? Im thinking of going stealth as well with a Plus--something new and exciting lol

dinkydi
02-25-2014, 06:56 PM
can i ask what path did you use to get the cables inside the car from ant

kasher1979
02-25-2014, 09:07 PM
How is your plus compared to the redline? Im thinking of going stealth as well with a Plus--something new and exciting lol The Plus is awesome!!! Compared the redline it is almost exactly the same. The redline performs just a VERY VERY small amount better on K band. As for KA band it is extremely close. I have a really hot redline though. I had to send my redline in several times. Larry finally got the head tech to fix it. That guy knows what he is doing. I highly recommend the plus if you want to go stealth. The plus is my new thing right now. I am really liking it a whole lot. I enjoy the GPS lockouts without having to use a smartphone lots too.

kasher1979
02-25-2014, 09:13 PM
can i ask what path did you use to get the cables inside the car from ant Yes I ran cable down the luggage rack into the back door. The cable goes between the gap between the back door and roof which is a large gap and plenty of room. Then the cable just lays over top the soft door seal from there.

kasher1979
02-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Plastic ties will degrade over time when exposed continuously to UV light(unless UV stablized w/ carbon black).I'd recommend changing them w/ new ones on a yearly basis. Man I appreciate that advice. I didn't think about that. I will have to plan on replacing it probably after each summer would be a good time to do it. Thanks again.

kasher1979
02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Put the zip ties on. Blended very well. Not noticeable. Loving my setup!

Salty
02-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Put the zip ties on. Blended very well. Not noticeable. Loving my setup!

No pic?

BestRadarDetectors
02-28-2014, 12:02 PM
No pic?

He posted a picture in his other thread: http://radarandlaserforum.com/showthread.php/3540-The-Beast-About-to-Be-UnLeashed!!!?p=11452&viewfull=1#post11452

kasher1979
02-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Yeah I will also try and post more pics or maybe a video of my setup now that its all finalized. STIR Plus Rules!! I think so far it's my favorite detector I have ever owned. Had kind of a rough start getting install right, but now it's great. The range is unbelievable it is edging out my redline on KA now. Anyone that doesn't have this detector really needs to get up with Tom and get one if you can.

Kasher

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk