PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth for ALPs

ttNB
02-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Ok, so I recently put an order in for the Bluetooth connection for my ALPs (from BRD) thanks. I was wondering (I don't have it yet) how does this work? What are the connections being made? From what I read they all say something different. Like the no connections needed to be made through the firewall and some say you don't need the controller. But where does the main unit go? If it has to stay in the cabin space, you still have to fish the wiring through the firewall. And you still have to keep the CPU because of updates, correct? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a dual system.

dinkydi
02-20-2014, 08:42 PM
i think the bt will work from under the bonnet (hood) just make sure it,s in a water proof location, but if possible i would try and get it inside the cabin, if at a later date you need to add rears, ur ready to go, also you can connect the original lead when inside

BestRadarDetectors
02-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Ok, so I recently put an order in for the Bluetooth connection for my ALPs (from BRD) thanks. I was wondering (I don't have it yet) how does this work? What are the connections being made? From what I read they all say something different. Like the no connections needed to be made through the firewall and some say you don't need the controller. But where does the main unit go? If it has to stay in the cabin space, you still have to fish the wiring through the firewall. And you still have to keep the CPU because of updates, correct? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a dual system.

If you already have the CPU in the Cabin, You simply disconnect the control module and plug the bluetooth model in the control module port. That is it and you are done and ready to use your smartphone to bring the ALP to the next level. There have been several improvements since many of our earlier videos but Mirages video will still give you a good idea even though many of the issues he had with the earlier version no longer exist. We will have to make some new videos but these will give you a good idea of how much better the ALP is when using the ALP Connect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn1gDvlY48c

A current video with the alert changes:

http://youtu.be/yXlUE3A7nwc

RedRocket
02-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Have you had a chance to review some of the "Stickys" in the AL Thread here.You will find them very informative.

ttNB
02-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys, I've checked those already. I was just a little confused about the placement of the actual BT device. Yes the CPU, is in the cabin, but since I lease my vehicles, I figured that would make things a little easier.

ttNB
02-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Have you had a chance to review some of the "Stickys" in the AL Thread here.You will find them very informative.

I've skimmed through some of them, it was really the placement of the BT device I was concerned about.

ttNB
02-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I am glad though that the iPhone can run the app in the background while I run EL on my Max or RL. That one question was resolved by your videos.

BestRadarDetectors
02-20-2014, 08:49 PM
I've skimmed through some of them, it was really the placement of the BT device I was concerned about.

Since the system was installed already and CPU is in the cabin there is no need to move it. Mounting the CPU in the engine compartment is really only needed for folks that cant run the wires into the cabin. You have already done it so installing will take a few seconds.

ttNB
02-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Since the system was installed already and CPU is in the cabin there is no need to move it. Mounting the CPU in the engine compartment is really only needed for folks that cant run the wires into the cabin. You have already done it so installing will take a few seconds.

Cool.😎

ttNB
02-20-2014, 08:52 PM

Say one wanted to install under the hood, is there any necessary steps of precaution to take while doing so? Like does it need to be weather proofed some how?

BestRadarDetectors
02-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Say one wanted to install under the hood, is there any necessary steps of precaution to take while doing so? Like does it need to be weather proofed some how?

For a new install one would install the CPU & Bluetooth module in a weather proof enclosure. There are tons on ebay for under $10 that would work fine but it would make zero sense to move the CPU from under the dash to the engine compartment unless you were getting a new car or something.

ttNB
02-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Yea because I lease frequently that's why. When the time came to change vehicles.

ttNB
02-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Alright guys thank you for all your knowledge, I'm greatly humbled by your responses and help. Thanks a bunch. Signing off have great night all.
ttNB.

syrinx
05-23-2014, 11:12 PM
For a Cayman, I want to install the CPU in the front trunk. What about the range of the Bluetooth? Does it work well from the trunk to the cabin?

Thanks.

BestRadarDetectors
05-24-2014, 06:17 AM
For a Cayman, I want to install the CPU in the front trunk. What about the range of the Bluetooth? Does it work well from the trunk to the cabin?

Thanks.

You should have no issue. The Bluetooth signal is very strong. I have tested receiving a signal at over 30FT from my vehicle.

syrinx
05-24-2014, 08:52 AM
You should have no issue. The Bluetooth signal is very strong. I have tested receiving a signal at over 30FT from my vehicle.

Good!