PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Mom, Infant Rescued During Winter Storm Leon Gridlock

Salty
01-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Here's what I don't understand. I get that you guys down south don't get much snow. But wtf is this about? Multi car accidents, cars turned over, apocalyptic scenes because of a little bit of snow? Are Georgians really unable to drive in a little bit of snow?

http://www.weather.com/news/atlanta-mom-infant-rescued-during-winter-storm-leon-gridlock-20140129?hootPostID=dde3d1281708f20b47f8a2e88a827c 0d

RedRocket
01-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Bald summer tires & Drivers inexperienced about winter driving skills completes the recipe for the kinda mess described in the article.

GA Speed
01-29-2014, 06:51 PM
We don't have any salt spreaders and just as the snow started everyone left work causing total gridlock.

We had the same problem back in 2011. So I just stayed home the past two days. I have a few friends that took them over 16 hours to get home only 15 miles.

Sent from my Note 3

curmudgeon
01-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Remember Nashville Tenn being shut down for a week back in 68 - 69 due to 4 inches of snow. As a Yankee, I thought it was just hysterical.

4 " snow here just fills the potholes, allowing you to go faster

GA Speed
01-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Yeah I grew up in Indiana and have been down there for about 8 years.

I just knew it was going to be a problem. Without the salt they just pack the snow into ice and its all over with then.

They try and spread sand and gravel on the roads and hope it will work. All it does is bust windshield in a few days when the roads are open again.

Sent from my Note 3

GA Speed
01-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Not my video but they are still cleaning this one up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeNrAO3Bx-g

GotWake
01-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Didn't they only get 2" of snow? Could you imagine if it came 2 ft in the states that rarely see snow? Half the population would die.

licwid
01-29-2014, 10:22 PM
What do you get when you combine...

A large number of people on summer only tires
No one with any idea what a winter tire is (aren't my all season tires good enough?)
A large number of people riding on tires until the cords show
Most people drive on snow or ice once every 5 to 7 years here...
The government did NOTHING to prepare aside from sending what little equipment they had south...
After the roads were gridlocked they tried to bring sand and rock spreaders out, but they couldnt get through traffic...
A population of 1million plus all leaving work within 30 minutes of each other
3 main roads to get a majority of the said 1 million out of town.... hell the all three combine into 1 road in the heart of the city (400, 85, 75)

Personally I knew what was coming and have been working from home since Monday given my RWD car with summer tires and no snow experience.

GotWake
01-29-2014, 11:51 PM
:roflmfao:

Salty
01-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Not my video but they are still cleaning this one up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeNrAO3Bx-g

That's just RIDICULOUS! There's not even any snow on some parts of the road. I mean, c'mon...

What do you get when you combine...

A large number of people on summer only tires
No one with any idea what a winter tire is (aren't my all season tires good enough?)
A large number of people riding on tires until the cords show
Most people drive on snow or ice once every 5 to 7 years here...
The government did NOTHING to prepare aside from sending what little equipment they had south...
After the roads were gridlocked they tried to bring sand and rock spreaders out, but they couldnt get through traffic...
A population of 1million plus all leaving work within 30 minutes of each other
3 main roads to get a majority of the said 1 million out of town.... hell the all three combine into 1 road in the heart of the city (400, 85, 75)

Personally I knew what was coming and have been working from home since Monday given my RWD car with summer tires and no snow experience.

I still have summer tires on my car, and they are balding. Yes, I will change them soon. But I've driven in 12 ft of snow with these tires. I understand some don't have the experience, but to see a multi car crash like in the vid GA posted, with that little snow is just ridiculous.

Salty
01-30-2014, 11:45 AM
:roflmfao:

rofl!

licwid
01-30-2014, 01:24 PM
That's just RIDICULOUS! There's not even any snow on some parts of the road. I mean, c'mon...

But what you can't see is that there is ice on most of the roads due to the freezing rain that preceded the snow in some parts of the city. With that said, yes most people just freaked out and panicked.