PDA

View Full Version : Playing around with the ALP Connect App

BestRadarDetectors
12-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Was playing around with the ALP app and Mirage had several ideas of changing the alert sounds and I was not fond of the default bar graph going from top down of the signal strength. I prefer a bottom -> up strength and played around with a gradual color change to Red when the signal was the strongest.

http://youtu.be/SQJX2wRCqtg

An Alternate alert sound instead of the musical one: (Sound from Mirage)

http://youtu.be/u7ojWm4-OuU

Not sure if these changes will make it to a production version but we can only make the product better with input from everyone.

max
12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
nice idea...

Mirage
12-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Tom and I have been working to optimize the sounds through normalization and tonal enhancement. So far things are looking good as you can see we got rid of the "funky" music everyone hated. The only issue is the alert sound does not loop properly on the app and we need AL to look at it. Let us know what you guys think. Also notice the radar tone has changed.

RigToFly01
12-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Good Job in getting rid of the music. Does the ALP app allow lockout's for radar? If it does not, is it planned for later? As you all know I own the MAX and I like the way the ALP app keeps track of the radar alert with a time stamp and freq. I am seriously thinking about adding the STiR head to my setup along with the MAX. That is why I am curious about the lockouts.

Mirage
12-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Good Job in getting rid of the music. Does the ALP app allow lockout's for radar? If it does not, is it planned for later? As you all know I own the MAX and I like the way the ALP app keeps track of the radar alert with a time stamp and freq. I am seriously thinking about adding the STiR head to my setup along with the MAX. That is why I am curious about the lockouts.

Currently no. This is one of the things I noted in my review (http://www.miragetools.net/2013/12/alp-rg-module-with-sti-r/). I believe the next release is going to have automute or at least they are working on it, but I'm not sure on the release of any lockout code. BRD can probably comment on it.

JohnBoy
12-29-2013, 01:58 PM
I like the
new alerts!!!

BestRadarDetectors
12-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Currently no. This is one of the things I noted in my review (http://www.miragetools.net/2013/12/alp-rg-module-with-sti-r/). I believe the next release is going to have automute or at least they are working on it, but I'm not sure on the release of any lockout code. BRD can probably comment on it.

Gps lockouts are a patented feature which is why all other brands do not also do it. There will be an automute feature as well as Savvy like mute features if under a designated set speed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

RigToFly01
12-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Let me see if I understand. The user will be able to set an alert to automute, so the next time you drive by it the bar will be lighting up but there will be no Audible alert. If that is the case, then I guess it's almost the same thing.

Savvy mute seems like it would useful as well.

BestRadarDetectors
12-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Let me see if I understand. The user will be able to set an alert to automute, so the next time you drive by it the bar will be lighting up but there will be no Audible alert. If that is the case, then I guess it's almost the same thing.

No. Auto Mute is a feature where the detector will auto mute the alert after a few seconds. It will get your attention at full volume and then lower to a lower non intrusive level automatically.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

RigToFly01
12-29-2013, 02:45 PM
So essentially any other company can't use GPS location to do anything with a Detector due to the patent issue. I guess the way I described it is still a "lockout"

L&R
12-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Very nice i like it.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 07:21 AM
If your phone is not connected to the Bluetooth, will the jammer still work? There are times that I may run without the phone, but I still want alerts with the control unit.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 07:49 AM
If your phone is not connected to the Bluetooth, will the jammer still work? There are times that I may run without the phone, but I still want alerts with the control unit.

The Bluetooth module replaces the control module so if you are not going to run with your phone then you need to plug the control module back in. This can be easily accomplished with a RJ45 male to RJ45 female connector. See this post: http://radarandlaserforum.com/showthread.php/3160-ALP-Bluetooth-Module-amp-ALPConnect-App-Review-by-Mirage

BestRadarDetectors
12-30-2013, 08:32 AM

Maybe in the future but at this time you can only choose to use either the Control Module or the Bluetooth module since they both connect to the same port. If you do not have your phone with you then you would need to unplug the Bluetooth Module and plug in the control module to use the system. I am looking into possibly creating an RJ45 switch or something similar that would allow you to plug in both RJ45 ports and switch back and forth without having to manually switch the plugs.

BestRadarDetectors
12-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Maybe in the future but at this time you can only choose to use either the Control Module or the Bluetooth module since they both connect to the same port. If you do not have your phone with you then you would need to unplug the Bluetooth Module and plug in the control module to use the system. I am looking into possibly creating an RJ45 switch or something similar that would allow you to plug in both RJ45 ports and switch back and forth without having to manually switch the plugs.

Something like these might work for a short term solution. I ordered a few and will test when they get in. As long as they are manual pass through switches I cant see it not working but they are made and ship from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Network-AB-2-Way-Manual-Sharing-Switch-Box-Mini-2-Port-/190684396308

JohnBoy
12-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Something like these might work for a short term solution. I ordered a few and will test when they get in. As long as they are manual pass through switches I cant see it not working but they are made and ship from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Network-AB-2-Way-Manual-Sharing-Switch-Box-Mini-2-Port-/190684396308

This looks promising.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 06:52 PM
That looks like it should work.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 06:58 PM
You can try this one from a usa seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-Ports-2-Way-8P8C-RJ45-Network-Ethernet-Manual-AB-Share-Sharing-Switch-Box-/121089651648?pt=US_Network_Switches&hash=item1c318173c0

You can buy a 1ft cable to hook the box under the dash. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1ft-Cat6-Ethernet-Patch-RJ45-LAN-Network-Cable-/131044106726?pt=US_Ethernet_Cables_RJ_45_8P8C_&hash=item1e82d661e6

BestRadarDetectors
12-30-2013, 07:09 PM
You can try this one from a usa seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-Ports-2-Way-8P8C-RJ45-Network-Ethernet-Manual-AB-Share-Sharing-Switch-Box-/121089651648?pt=US_Network_Switches&hash=item1c318173c0

You can buy a 1ft cable to hook the box under the dash. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1ft-Cat6-Ethernet-Patch-RJ45-LAN-Network-Cable-/131044106726?pt=US_Ethernet_Cables_RJ_45_8P8C_&hash=item1e82d661e6

I saw that one but I felt it was too big in my opinion. I have plenty of tools and cable to make my own custom cables. I also prefer flat black cable in my installs and I am not sure if that Ethernet cable would be a straight through.

winterbrew
12-30-2013, 08:09 PM
I saw that one but I felt it was too big in my opinion.

Yes, the Chinese one looks suitably small - I've just taken a punt on a couple, but looks like the earliest they'll be here is 14th Jan !

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 09:08 PM
just ordered my system. when I get it I will work something out. I have a iphone 5 to use for now. When android is out I will use the samsung s3. Will the app run in landscape? Do I need service on the iphone to use it with the app? I have a basic serve with only 50mb data.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 09:12 PM
just ordered my system. when I get it I will work something out. I have a iphone 5 to use for now. When android is out I will use the samsung s3. Will the app run in landscape? Do I need service on the iphone to use it with the app? I have a basic serve with only 50mb data.

Portrait only unfortunately. You don't need service but you will lose GPS without it as iPhones don't use a real gps chip they use cell tower triangulation.

BestRadarDetectors
12-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Portrait only unfortunately. You don't need service but you will lose GPS without it as iPhones don't use a real gps chip they use cell tower triangulation.

This is not true.. I bought an iPhone 4S with no service to use with the ALP and it displays GPS Speed.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 09:41 PM
This is not true.. I bought an iPhone 4S with no service to use with the ALP and it displays GPS Speed.

I stand corrected then. When did they start using a GPS chip? Put it in airplane mode and see if it works. If not then they maybe using just the cell positioning, but regardless cool that you can get GPS like service without having cell service.

Try this with your iPhone. I know it won't work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMiRbHgD4bM

Still doesn't change the fact that on the ground you still get GPS positioning without cell service which is cool.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 09:45 PM
I have the consumer cellular plan. It cost only $20 a month. I really don't use the IPhone. I like android. I would drop Verizon, but Verizon work in more locations than att. consumer cellular is att. I will probably leave the ipone as a alp display. I just ordered the small network switch on ebay. I should stop in NJ next month when I am off and show my install.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 09:47 PM
My old htc thunderbolt had a gps chip in it. I still have it to use if needed.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 09:48 PM
I made a nice mount for my dash but it holds the phone in landscape.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 09:48 PM
My old htc thunderbolt had a gps chip in it. I still have it to use if needed.

I believe all Android devices do but I don't think even today the iphones do.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 09:55 PM
I will have to check the iPhone. I have the 5. I will check tomorrow. I should have my system set up by the 14th if brd gets the units this week. I'm only one day shipping from them. I can drive to them in less than 2 hrs.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 10:01 PM
just checked and The iPhone has a built-in GPS chip. Looks like the iPhone will be my alp display.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 10:02 PM
gotta love it.

hitechrr
12-30-2013, 10:05 PM
when spring comes, My blinder m47 in my wife's Honda will be on ebay. She doesn't need it anyway. Glad I went with the alp and not the blinder in my car.

BestRadarDetectors
12-30-2013, 10:07 PM
I stand corrected then. When did they start using a GPS chip? Put it in airplane mode and see if it works. If not then they maybe using just the cell positioning, but regardless cool that you can get GPS like service without having cell service.

Try this with your iPhone. I know it won't work:

Still doesn't change the fact that on the ground you still get GPS positioning without cell service which is cool.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/apple-iphone-4s-review-att-verizon/9

The iPhone 4 previously used a BCM4750 single chip GPS receiver, and shared the 2.4 GHz WiFi antenna as shown many times in diagrams. We reported with the CDMA iPhone 4 that Qualcomm’s GPS inside MDM6600 was being used in place of some discrete solution, and showed a video demonstrating its improved GPS fix. I suspected at the time that the CDMA iPhone 4 might be using GLONASS from MDM6600 (in fact, the MDM6600 amss actually flashed onto the CDMA iPhone 4 includes many GLONASS references), but never was able to concretely confirm it was actually being used.

MDM6610 inside the 4S inherits the same Qualcomm GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) Gen8 support, namely GPS and its Russian equivalent, GLONASS. The two can be used in conjunction at the same time and deliver a more reliable 3D fix onboad MDM6610, which is what the 4S does indeed appear to be using. GPS and GLONASS are functionally very similar, and combined support for GPS and GLONASS at the same time is something most modern receivers do now. There are even receivers which support the EU’s standard, Galileo, though it isn’t completed yet. This time around, Apple is being direct about its inclusion of GLONASS. The GPS inside MDM6610 fully supports standalone mode, and assisted mode from UMTS, GSM, OMA, and gpsOneXTRA.

Mirage
12-30-2013, 10:09 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/apple-iphone-4s-review-att-verizon/9

The iPhone 4 previously used a BCM4750 single chip GPS receiver, and shared the 2.4 GHz WiFi antenna as shown many times in diagrams. We reported with the CDMA iPhone 4 that Qualcomm’s GPS inside MDM6600 was being used in place of some discrete solution, and showed a video demonstrating its improved GPS fix. I suspected at the time that the CDMA iPhone 4 might be using GLONASS from MDM6600 (in fact, the MDM6600 amss actually flashed onto the CDMA iPhone 4 includes many GLONASS references), but never was able to concretely confirm it was actually being used.

MDM6610 inside the 4S inherits the same Qualcomm GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) Gen8 support, namely GPS and its Russian equivalent, GLONASS. The two can be used in conjunction at the same time and deliver a more reliable 3D fix onboad MDM6610, which is what the 4S does indeed appear to be using. GPS and GLONASS are functionally very similar, and combined support for GPS and GLONASS at the same time is something most modern receivers do now. There are even receivers which support the EU’s standard, Galileo, though it isn’t completed yet. This time around, Apple is being direct about its inclusion of GLONASS. The GPS inside MDM6610 fully supports standalone mode, and assisted mode from UMTS, GSM, OMA, and gpsOneXTRA.

Excellent its about time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

L&R
01-10-2014, 01:48 AM
I hope in next update AntiLaser add on/off fog light button.

hitechrr
01-15-2014, 07:22 PM
I received the switch today and it works fine. I can switch from BT to wired control.

hitechrr
01-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Yes, the Chinese one looks suitably small - I've just taken a punt on a couple, but looks like the earliest they'll be here is 14th Jan !

I received the switch today and it works fine. I can switch from BT to wired control.

ECMExpert
01-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Be careful, the one downside is that the ALP controller box and the Bluetooth Module are NOT waterproof , so if you're running them under the hood ( bonnet) you'll need to protect from moisture and water. This is clearly specified in the instructions that come with the Bluetooth module.

BestRadarDetectors
01-15-2014, 08:05 PM

Great... I am still waiting for mine. :(

winterbrew
01-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Great... I am still waiting for mine. :(

Me too. Good to know it works :)

hitechrr
01-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Be careful, the one downside is that the ALP controller box and the Bluetooth Module are NOT waterproof , so if you're running them under the hood ( bonnet) you'll need to protect from moisture and water. This is clearly specified in the instructions that come with the Bluetooth module.
every thing in under my dash. I can reach the switch and run the control unit if I don't have the IPhone. I only have the IPhone for the ALP. I use a Samsung s3 for calls. They should have worked on the android first. I think more tech people use android and root them.

hitechrr
01-15-2014, 09:00 PM
I hooked it up with a 1ft cat 6 wire.

radargeek
01-16-2014, 07:04 AM
Cool stuff. Is there a plan to eliminate the flashing of the bar graph meter during radar alerts? I can see that being annoying.

If you want a different siren instead of "borrowing" the LI one, I have a synthesizer at home and can make one up. Hurry up before I sell it to buy an ALP though. :)

Mirage
01-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Cool stuff. Is there a plan to eliminate the flashing of the bar graph meter during radar alerts? I can see that being annoying.

If you want a different siren instead of "borrowing" the LI one, I have a synthesizer at home and can make one up. Hurry up before I sell it to buy an ALP though. :)

BRD has custom sounds and graphics that he and I have been messing around with to enhance the product. We are letting AL get the bugs worked out of the current release before we submit the updates which include new alerts, modified graphics (include the meter), and normalized vocals with tonal adjustments. They sound great on both a stand-alone speaker or over Bluetooth. If you want make us an alert just send it to me and I'll test it out. Then you can sell your synthesizer! ;)

radargeek
01-16-2014, 08:27 AM
I made this one a few months ago: 550

Looks like I'll have to sell the synth to buy a new water heater instead of an ALP. :(

BestRadarDetectors
01-16-2014, 08:28 AM
There are lots of improvements in the works and I am testing a future release now which has Auto Mute for Radar Alerts (Thank Goodness), New Settings menu which allow you to get and check your system info, When updating firmware it now displays the status on the update while its being updated and many more improvements. Also working on City & Highway modes for Radar and many other enhancements. The musical tone which was not taken well by members was also removed for different alerts. You guys will have to stay tuned.

549 551 552 553

Mirage
01-16-2014, 08:47 AM
I made this one a few months ago: 550

Looks like I'll have to sell the synth to buy a new water heater instead of an ALP. :(

Home warranty? They will replace the water heater. Just did that a few months ago. Then you will still have room for the ALP ;)

radargeek
01-16-2014, 02:26 PM
No warranty. Water heater is about 9 years old. My bro-in-law is going to replace it (if he ever gets here), so that will save some $ over paying a plumber.

I'm taking advantage of the time to kick up my job hunt. Maybe I can get something with a shorter commute and a better paycheck, then I could afford the ALP, though if I just commute in town I won't need it since I almost never see laser in town.