PDA

View Full Version : ALP heads getting warm

deano
12-06-2013, 08:31 AM
just noticed tonight at work ..after all the bosses had gone home we decided to bring in my car listen to some music on a real sound system ....cut a long story short I noticed some dirt on the ALP heads I wiped them with my finger and noticed that the heads where warmer than the car itself... I then went to the LI heads and touched them there stone cold ...the key was on for at least 30 mins and every thing was armed

the heads do not get hot as in you cant touch them burning hot but they are very warm on the top and bottom as if some one had held them in there hand just before touching the heads ....I never had my temputer gun to get readings

the reason I posted this I haven't seen this before and im just wondering the life efficiency on the heads specially on a hot summer days

I may be wrong but they may be designed like this and maybe there drawing more power on standby than any other jammer who knows

JohnBoy
12-06-2013, 08:37 AM
I believe I read somewhere that ALP is active all the time, so that they can act as true parking assist.

I know mine beep if I get too close to the car in front of me at a red light, meaning they must be always sending some sort of signal. I would assume a very low powered one.

deano
12-06-2013, 08:45 AM
cheers mate

all of AL products work as a parking sensor full time so its nothing new on the ALP

my g8 and G9 don't get warm

all AL: through a IR camera will show a flash pattern on heads even when there are no lidar Interference

RedRocket
12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Yes,I've noticed when in STBY (not active defense mode) & viewing w/ IR video cam that there are very brief & very low output "pulsing" signals sent out to check proximity of objects nearby (inside your set-point) getting to close.

BestRadarDetectors
12-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Yes,I've noticed when in STBY (not active defense mode) & viewing w/ IR video cam that there are very brief & very low output "pulsing" signals sent out to check proximity of objects nearby (inside your set-point) getting to close.
Yes, You are all correct. With Parking Mode activated they are constantly monitoring for obstacles which is why they are always warm when on. They were designed this way and its not a flaw.

deano
12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
just never noticed this on the G8 and G9 going to switch off parking mode at the week end this means the heads should not do any thing I will check then unless some one beats me to it

shanetrainST
12-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Thermo gunned mine @ 40 degrees Celsius, they have been on all day. I thought to myself the same thing

shanetrainST
12-06-2013, 09:07 AM

You must have read my mind lol, something I asked about 10 mins ago lol

Yellowcab
12-06-2013, 09:10 AM
905nm is in the infrared spectrum which produces what we sense as heat. This is how in the dark infrared sensors can image heat containing objects. As explained above because the ALP is a parking sensor and is always active at low power, the heads are always producing heat. That is one of the reasons brute force jammer can only operate for a short period of time.

BestRadarDetectors
12-06-2013, 09:14 AM
905nm is in the infrared spectrum which produces what we sense as heat. This is how in the dark infrared sensors can image heat containing objects. As explained above because the ALP is a parking sensor and is always active at low power, the heads are always producing heat. That is one of the reasons brute force jammer can only operate for a short period of time.

On a good note I can see two benefits from this:

1. If someone asks what they are you can really tell them parking sensors and tell them to go and block a sensor and they will hear the alert go off
2. If you are in a cold climate you do not have to worry about snow and ice building up on the heads and rendering them useless

deano
12-06-2013, 09:28 AM
the lense does not get warm its more at the back top and bottom ...I was just a little worried after when they generate there own heat and have to put up with the very hot summer ....I was more thinking like an RD they don't like the heat

Mirage
12-06-2013, 09:34 AM
On a good note I can see two benefits from this:

1. If someone asks what they are you can really tell them parking sensors and tell them to go and block a sensor and they will hear the alert go off
2. If you are in a cold climate you do not have to worry about snow and ice building up on the heads and rendering them useless

damn you stole my comment

If you're concerned about it just turn the parking sensor mode off in the setup. I have it that way on the front of my car. I will probably leave the rear on as that will be of more use.

BestRadarDetectors
12-06-2013, 09:35 AM
the lense does not get warm its more at the back top and bottom ...I was just a little worried after when they generate there own heat and have to put up with the very hot summer ....I was more thinking like an RD they don't like the heat

They are well within their operating range. I have an AL Priority on my workbench that has been on 24x7 for over 2 months straight now. I never turn it off and it runs all day and night and its operating as a parking sensor. Every time I get something out of the closet next to it I get reminded that its still working when it alerts that I passed it. They are warm to the touch but never get hot.

deano
12-06-2013, 10:02 AM
thats on a work bench not 45 degree celcius or a 113 Fahrenheit some time more ....for example an RD gets warm but leave it in a hot car for some time they go into service mode or just fail completely

I will scope through with an IR with parking mode disabled but as I know the AL products they still scan just you don't hear the audio beeps

any ways tomorrow is another day

BestRadarDetectors
12-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I will scope through with an IR with parking mode disabled but as I know the AL products they still scan just you don't hear the audio beeps

You are correct. Turning off the Parking Mode on any individual head will only ignore the parking signal from the head at the CPU side. I just tested it and confirmed you are correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDGyJBNx5Us

dinkydi
12-06-2013, 03:03 PM
AL, deano's pets, love it :biggrin-new:

Holla
12-06-2013, 09:17 PM
You are correct. Turning off the Parking Mode on any individual head will only ignore the sensor but it will still pulse the parking signal on every sensor. I just tested it and confirmed you are correct.

I dont understand what you are saying (Turning off the Parking Mode on any individual head will only ignore the sensor but it will still pulse the parking signal on every sensor)---- You can have parking mode on/off all the time---Not a bad idea for me in AK to have it on for the heat efffect to keep them clear of ice as we just have to major ice storms roll thru lol... Also if parking mode is on Im guessing they will act as parking sensors ?

BestRadarDetectors
12-06-2013, 09:34 PM
I dont understand what you are saying (Turning off the Parking Mode on any individual head will only ignore the sensor but it will still pulse the parking signal on every sensor)---- You can have parking mode on/off all the time---Not a bad idea for me in AK to have it on for the heat efffect to keep them clear of ice as we just have to major ice storms roll thru lol... Also if parking mode is on Im guessing they will act as parking sensors ?

AL Priority is 100% of the time a parking sensor but if it detects interference it will go into defense mode. (You can see this from the video as its idol in parking mode but as soon as its hit with laser it immediately reacts) All Sensors will pulse the parking signal even if you have parking mode disabled. That is what the test above was to determine. In any case you are not talking about a hot sensor but it is warm to the touch but warm enough that in some peoples case it might keep ice off of the heads. I will surely test this when it gets cold enough here.

Holla
12-06-2013, 09:38 PM
AL Priority is 100% of the time a parking sensor but if it detects interference it will go into defense mode. (You can see this from the video as its idol in parking mode but as soon as its hit with laser it immediately reacts) All Sensors will pulse the parking signal even if you have parking mode disabled. That is what the test above was to determine. In any case you are not talking about a hot sensor but it is warm to the touch but warm enough that in some peoples case it might keep ice off of the heads. I will surely test this when it gets cold enough here.

Ok so if (All Sensors will pulse the parking signal even if you have parking mode disabled) what is this actually doing, Im assuming nothing if parking sensors are disabled, which means you have no parking sensors activated and no parking aids available correct? I have plenty of cold and ice lol, just no ALP's yet :)

BestRadarDetectors
12-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Ok so if (All Sensors will pulse the parking signal even if you have parking mode disabled) what is this actually doing, Im assuming nothing if parking sensors are disabled, which means you have no parking sensors activated and no parking aids available correct? I have plenty of cold and ice lol, just no ALP's yet :)

Correct the heads are designed as parking sensors and if you turn off the function in the CPU the heads will still operate as normal but it will not alert you if you are too close to an object.

deano
12-07-2013, 09:43 PM
the reason I was wanting to know about heads getting warm was first I never seen this before on a jammer and 2nd of all im on my 2nd cpu as my original cpu would not power up ...

my first thoughts was that I may have some defective heads drawing to much power hence my first cpu

it has put my mind a rest knowing that ALP heads get warm

my theory would be that the capisitors and circuitry sit closer to the inside of the housing hense heat soak

my G8 and G9 heads don't get warm probly because the housing are so much bigger the circuitry is further away from the inside of the housing

all of AL products work as a full time parking aid so for the ALP its nothing new ..I use to allways think if I switch off parking aid it will save diode life as its not scanning but cheked this out many years ago with IR

BRD while you got the IR camera on hand as I have to strip out a cuboard to find mine and charge it up but try and do the same test one during the day and one at night

I cant remember witch one I tested but the G8 or G9 flashed a different sequences day and night... system still worked 100% not to sure if the ALP will do the same I figured it must change a scan pattern for different lighting senarios like I say im not to sure if the ALP will do the same AL may of changed a few things

Antilaser
12-10-2013, 03:47 AM
You are correct. Turning off the Parking Mode on any individual head will only ignore the parking signal from the head at the CPU side. I just tested it and confirmed you are correct.

BRD is right on this, very nice video BTW.
Sensors are doing a selftest and PDC every second, that is one proprietary routine of AL for many years. Even if PDC of the sensor is OFF, sensor is operating as normal with selftest blink every second.

ALP sensors are using up a lot of electricity and is normal for them to warm up, some 10-15 degrees above ambient temperature. G8/9 sensors are much larger so heat dissipates more quickly so they only go 5-10 degrees above ambient temperature.

L&R
12-13-2013, 12:52 AM

BRD is it the fog light edition;

BestRadarDetectors
12-13-2013, 06:58 AM
BRD is it the fog light edition;

No, There is no AL Priority fog light heads. The fog light heads are G9 heads but they will also work with the AL Priority.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk