PDA

View Full Version : OnTrack IR Invisi-Plate

BestRadarDetectors
11-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Did some testing with the OnTrack IR Invisi-Plate Covers (http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Ontrack-IR-Invisi-Plate-Anti-IR-Infrared-License-Plate-Protector.html) and they are clear to the naked eye but they are blocked when looking through an IR Camera.

I can see these helping many folks that have IR Cameras all over the place but I would be concerned if you have police that drive around with IR Plate Readers. I am sure they would be curious why your tag would not be scanning.

dinkydi
11-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Did some testing with the OnTrack IR Invisi-Plate Covers (http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Ontrack-IR-Invisi-Plate-Anti-IR-Infrared-License-Plate-Protector.html) and they are clear to the naked eye but they are blocked when looking through an IR Camera.

I can see these helping many folks that have IR Cameras all over the place but I would be concerned if you have police that drive around with IR Plate Readers. I am sure they would be curious why your tag would not be scanning.

dont know what they use here in OZ,for np reading wb is pretty good on this type of info, and also the polis, which i think uses two types of flash, day and night, wb will probably chime in

winterbrew
11-12-2013, 08:09 PM
In visible light, the plate is visible from all angles, and is entirely readable. I've driven around with them on and never had any problems in about a year.

In WA, the police use the Argus ANPR. Not sure about Argus specs, but was told that most ANPR's take one shot in visible light and one in IR, hence if one is not readable, it reads the other.

Take the car park barriers at the local airport. They use ANPR as it prints your rego number on your parking ticket you get from the entrance barrier. You can see the IR cams near the ticket barrier, and the IR sets off my V1 laser alert. The barrier seems to take a bit longer to open, but it still reads my rego, so must be using the visible light shot, as IR is blocked.

I've viewed my car under IR equipped CCTV/night vision cam, and the plate numbers are obscurred.

Poliscans - we think the Poliscans in WA use the visible red 650nm flash day and night here, and not the invisible to the eye, IR flash at 890nm that the Invisi Plate would block. 650nm is visible red light, so unlikely to work. The Poliscan can also use an IR flash (along with white flash), although its not used here as it gives a grainy picture.

max
12-18-2013, 02:37 PM
I bought same L.P sheet cover 7 years ago from 3M...

ignitionss
02-04-2014, 07:03 PM
I along with Winter have had a cover on my plate for some time. -rear only-. Have not had an issue with the apnr equipped readers. Sometimes I wonder if they (the covers) are even working!! Still, every little gram of help to sway the balance can only help...

max
02-04-2014, 08:42 PM
I along with Winter have had a cover on my plate for some time. -rear only-. Have not had an issue with the apnr equipped readers. Sometimes I wonder if they (the covers) are even working!! Still, every little gram of help to sway the balance can only help...

Not working!!!

ignitionss
02-05-2014, 06:10 PM
So have you been done with an IR sensitive camera using the on-track?

Not working!!!

Radarrob
02-05-2014, 06:56 PM
By me be prepared for red and blue lights in rear view with plate cover on the car.Will not matter if alpr can read it they will pull me over because it does not belong on the car. Having this around the plate by me is instant pull over a big target.$150 fine.

ignitionss
02-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Damn they are tough over there!!

Lucky225
02-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Just bought 2 of these, thinking about using it in conjunction with IR LEDs -even cameras that don't use IR flash/nightvision are often times sensitive to infrared light, so if you always illuminate your plate and have this cover, in theory the IR illuminating the plate would obscure your plate number with the cover. Could even go further and buy noPhoto for the stealthiest install to defeat both visible light and IR cameras or systems that use both.

RedRocket
02-17-2014, 01:01 PM
^ - Can't wait to see your results if you do this.Hope you're in a warmer climate & can start ASAP.Too damn cold (8F this a.m.) here to be working on car in the front yard.
BTW,your name I recognized from elsewhere for being in this hobby for many years.Are you that same person ? - & I can remember your avatar pix (I wanted 1 badly).

hitechrr
02-17-2014, 01:05 PM
They are illegal in NY. No part of the plate writing can be covered or painted. Even a frame that covers any of the letters can get you a ticket.

Tman
02-17-2014, 01:19 PM
They are illegal in NY. No part of the plate writing can be covered or painted. Even a frame that covers any of the letters can get you a ticket.

Same in Qc ...they take no chance to loose $$.

Lucky225
02-17-2014, 02:18 PM

These laws have been defeated time and time again and usually relate to plate FRAMES or non-clear covering that makes the plate information not visible, the laws that go so further about 'any part of the plate' have mostly been defeated on first amendment grounds (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooley_v._Maynard). The legislatures are wising up and making it illegal to place any device that obscures the plate NUMBER from cameras, but the risk is relatively low when we're dealing with IR and not something in the visible spectrum which can be detected by the naked eye. I know there are states that prohibit clear covers altogether, but it's relatively low number of them (i.e. California Vehicle Code 5201)

Lucky225
02-17-2014, 02:20 PM
^ - Can't wait to see your results if you do this.Hope you're in a warmer climate & can start ASAP.Too damn cold (8F this a.m.) here to be working on car in the front yard.
BTW,your name I recognized from elsewhere for being in this hobby for many years.Are you that same person ? - & I can remember your avatar pix (I wanted 1 badly).

Same person. :) -- Dropped $70 on these damn covers, will need to wait a couple of pay checks to get the IR LEDs and noPhoto, gotta keep the spouse happy :)

RedRocket
02-17-2014, 05:58 PM
^ - Welcome back to the CM community,surprised you showed up here of all places.We're fairly new & rather quite unknown we are. :chargrined:

Lucky225
02-17-2014, 06:04 PM
hah, well I quickly found out RDnet is a ghost town, I made a post about this on RDF but 0 replies :x, I figured the place I bought the cover from would be as good a place as any to get some type of feedback :)

RedRocket
02-17-2014, 06:18 PM
hah, well I quickly found out RDnet is a ghost town, I made a post about this on RDF but 0 replies :x, I figured the place I bought the cover from would be as good a place as any to get some type of feedback :)
yeah,that's the elsewhere I was talking about.We've never spoken to each other before,AFAIK.When I was active on RD.net I spent a lot of time reading olde Threads.I remember many of the olde "crew" from there,but I wasn't an active member there till only a few years ago.
Glad ya' landed here & hope you'll pull up a chair for a spell.

Lucky225
02-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Really looking forward to testing out IR flooding + cover on visible and IR cameras. Found this cool video on youtube as well that identifies some type of plates that are more likely to not be captured or read by ALPR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K8HcUd-TGs

TOMMYJR9
05-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Can someone please share with me all the different types of license plate covers that are available ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky225
06-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Alright ya'll, I took 2 passes on the toll road yesterday, one in daytime, I'll note during that time I did *NOT* receive a lidar alert from the STi-R, I believe they only use IR at night time as the 2nd pass at night the cameras gave a laser alert on the STi-R. I know this particular toll road does visual & IR, we will see if I get a toll notice for both passes.

BestRadarDetectors
11-16-2014, 12:12 PM
While gathering up equipment to get ready to test the new G5 Laser Veil I decided to test out the equipment on the OnTrack IR Invisi-Plate.

I must say I was very impressed that it worked so well.

http://youtu.be/-wd54TTsr6E

If VEIL G5 can do this with a coating of G5 directly on the license plate I would be impressed. Looking forward to getting G5 to coat on my plates and do some IR Testing.

hussein
11-16-2014, 05:55 PM
If someone has one of these, could you please post pics of what it looks like when it is clean, and when it is dirty? Can you tell it is on the plate? I cannot seem to find an answer to this. Thanks.

TurboDriver
11-16-2014, 09:31 PM
OnTrack IR Invisi-Plate.

If VEIL G5 can do this with a coating of G5 directly on the license plate I would be impressed. Looking forward to getting G5 to coat on my plates and do some IR Testing.

So does the plate cover reflect like a mirror, making it bright, and will Veil absorb making it dark? Either way the goal should be to make it unreadable with IR...lets hope.

BestRadarDetectors
11-16-2014, 09:42 PM
So does the plate cover reflect like a mirror, making it bright, and will Veil absorb making it dark? Either way the goal should be to make it unreadable with IR...lets hope.

Have no idea what G5 will look like since I dont have any. If anyone that won any G5 in the webinar wants to share theirs I would love to check it out. I have asked VG for some G5 and he has not replied yet.

BestRadarDetectors
11-16-2014, 09:45 PM
If someone has one of these, could you please post pics of what it looks like when it is clean, and when it is dirty? Can you tell it is on the plate? I cannot seem to find an answer to this. Thanks.
See attached photo taken when doing the tests earlier today.

lugnuts
11-16-2014, 09:46 PM
These laws have been defeated time and time again and usually relate to plate FRAMES or non-clear covering that makes the plate information not visible, the laws that go so further about 'any part of the plate' have mostly been defeated on first amendment grounds (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooley_v._Maynard). The legislatures are wising up and making it illegal to place any device that obscures the plate NUMBER from cameras, but the risk is relatively low when we're dealing with IR and not something in the visible spectrum which can be detected by the naked eye. I know there are states that prohibit clear covers altogether, but it's relatively low number of them (i.e. California Vehicle Code 5201)

IL bans clear plate covers as well.

Mirage
11-18-2014, 01:38 PM
G5 items moved to new thread located here: http://radarandlaserforum.com/showthread.php/6094-Veil-G5-Alternative-to-Plate-Covers

Trying to get things back on topic. Invisiplate

Rocketman59
12-01-2014, 09:25 PM
CA is one state that makes an issue of anything over the plate. I got nailed in Hollywood by a motor officer for a clear cover. It was only to keep the registration sticker from being stolen. The first time it was a fix it ticket. It made me mad enough that I got a cover to defeat the stop light cameras. 6 months later pulled over by a CHP Motor officer with nothing better to do. This time they wanted $150 for ticket and required to fix it. So I sold the Honda, and moved to Ohio.

Veil Guy
12-17-2014, 10:07 AM
CA is one state that makes an issue of anything over the plate. I got nailed in Hollywood by a motor officer for a clear cover. It was only to keep the registration sticker from being stolen. The first time it was a fix it ticket. It made me mad enough that I got a cover to defeat the stop light cameras. 6 months later pulled over by a CHP Motor officer with nothing better to do. This time they wanted $150 for ticket and required to fix it. So I sold the Honda, and moved to Ohio.

Holy smokes! Sounds like CA is a police state.

In Philly those stickers are often taken. I local police chief and I spoke of this issue and now I keep those stickers in the glove box. When I get called on it, I tell him why I keep them inside the vehicle. I never have been given a hard time about it when I explain why.

It's going to be interesting if they bust you for driving with Veil directly on the plate (no cover required). It will make the plate somewhat darker in appearance (less noticeable with darker plates to begin with). I've been driving with Veil on my plate cover for years and have never been called out for having done so.

VG

tawwwd
12-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Holy smokes! Sounds like CA is a police state.

In Philly those stickers are often taken. I local police chief and I spoke of this issue and now I keep those stickers in the glove box. When I get called on it, I tell him why I keep them inside the vehicle. I never have been given a hard time about it when I explain why.

It's going to be interesting if they bust you for driving with Veil directly on the plate (no cover required). It will make the plate somewhat darker in appearance (less noticeable with darker plates to begin with). I've been driving with Veil on my plate cover for years and have never been called out for having done so.

VG

I think anywhere that is using camera for speed/redlight enforcement is making changes to the plate laws... Here is Canada anyway... Seems like US states are too.

It used to state plate must not be obstructed from view.

Now it been changed to plate must not be obstructed or covered from view of photo/video.

Lucky225
12-22-2014, 05:49 AM

There is actually a product specifically for California plates that covers ONLY the registration stickers which is permitted under CVC 5201(b)(2):

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a
violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or
impair the recognition of the license plate information, including,
but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and
registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over
the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate
security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

Lucky225
12-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Took me a while, I don't think this is the original product either, but similar:

https://lockinglicenseplatestore.com//index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=35

BestRadarDetectors
12-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Took me a while, I don't think this is the original product either, but similar:

That is just a cover that locks your license plate so someone can not steal them?

Lucky225
12-22-2014, 01:46 PM
That is just a cover that locks your license plate so someone can not steal them?

It's just a plate frame basically with 2 small windows that lock to keep thieves from stealing the month/year registration sticker tabs.

Thing is.. in Colorado our stickers are in the lower left/lower right corner. I wonder if this thing works upside down lol

Lucky225
01-31-2015, 12:29 AM
While gathering up equipment to get ready to test the new G5 Laser Veil I decided to test out the equipment on the OnTrack IR Invisi-Plate.

http://youtu.be/-wd54TTsr6E

Somehow I missed your vid - Did you know RadarRoy is using this commercially on his youtube video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2KJhgkAh5k

Lucky225
01-31-2015, 12:37 AM
See attached photo taken when doing the tests earlier today.

Didn't see anyone asking for this either I guess I skipped over the whole 3rd page :) here's some pics front & back plate on mine with first few characters obscured for privacy:

aniceberg
03-18-2016, 12:58 PM
The NYS code reads as follows:

(b) Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material, and shall not be knowingly covered or coated with any artificial or synthetic material or substance that conceals or obscures such number plates or that distorts a recorded or photographic image of such number plates, and the view of such number plates shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon, except for a receiver-transmitter issued by a publicly owned tolling facility in connection with electronic toll collection when such receiver-transmitter is affixed to the exterior of a vehicle in accordance with mounting instructions provided by the tolling facility.

http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/vehicle-and-traffic-law/vat-sect-402.html

The code even makes it a felony to sell materials that help conceal.

aniceberg
03-18-2016, 04:45 PM
How much better if the Invisiplate had a custom numbering applique that is only visible only to infrared cameras? So your actual license plate says "12345" in the visible spectrum and the IR version says "54321" etc. Any such product out there?

Redfox
06-06-2016, 03:30 PM
So, bottom line, does the Invisiplate spray work with infrared cameras?

BestRadarDetectors
06-06-2016, 04:48 PM
So, bottom line, does the Invisiplate spray work with infrared cameras?

Invisiplate is a plastic cover... Not a spray. Yes, It blocks IR Cameras.

jakevsnake
09-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Anyone tried out the Ontrack Total Eclipse? Debating on this or something like noPhoto.

R6n350GT
01-16-2017, 05:18 AM
Anyone in Australia using any of these products?? which one gives overall protection for down under? (excuse the phun!)

alatilla
02-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Invisiplate is a plastic cover... Not a spray. Yes, It blocks IR Cameras.

Just ticketed with the IR Invsiplate on my rear plate. LEO spotted the glare and took the cover off for evidence in case I try to fight the ticket! He called it a fare evasion device. Wanted to tell him it's actually for cams and ALPRs! But it is nice and clear though.

modsl55amg
02-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Just ticketed with the IR Invsiplate on my rear plate. LEO spotted the glare and took the cover off for evidence in case I try to fight the ticket! He called it a fare evasion device. Wanted to tell him it's actually for cams and ALPRs! But it is nice and clear though.

alatilla Was the cop who made the stop a local or NJ State Police? Did the the cop stop you for some other violation, then just happened to see the Invisiplate, or did he stop you specifically for the Invisiplate when he saw it?

alatilla
02-16-2017, 03:22 PM
alatilla Was the cop who made the stop a local or NJ State Police? Did the the cop stop you for some other violation, then just happened to see the Invisiplate, or did he stop you specifically for the Invisiplate when he saw it?

It was a local cop in my hometown. He was driving behind me on a sunny day and he told me that he couldn't read my plate because of the glare off of the cover. I told him I didn't have a screwdriver in an effort to keep him from getting his hands on the cover but I was pulled over next to a gas station. He asked them to find one. Took the cover as evidence in case I fight his ticket.

I had the cover on for about 8 months with no trouble, it is crystal clear and had almost no distortion. I might have just gotten unlucky this time.

modsl55amg
02-16-2017, 03:48 PM
It was a local cop in my hometown. He was driving behind me on a sunny day and he told me that he couldn't read my plate because of the glare off of the cover. I told him I didn't have a screwdriver in an effort to keep him from getting his hands on the cover but I was pulled over next to a gas station. He asked them to find one. Took the cover as evidence in case I fight his ticket.

I had the cover on for about 8 months with no trouble, it is crystal clear and had almost no distortion. I might have just gotten unlucky this time.
alatilla OK, Thanks for the details. I really feel bad for you, as it was just a freaky situation that a cop was behind you and the sun was shining on your rear plate in such a way as to leave it unreadable. That is a situation that most likely would have also happened to me. If it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all!

alatilla
02-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Anyone tried out the Ontrack Total Eclipse? Debating on this or something like noPhoto.

I used this plate cover on my front plate until it became damaged. I would NOT recommend using this on your rear plate because it's QUITE noticeable to anyone behind you. Eventually you'll be pulled over because it clearly distorts the plate number. Otherwise it's very effective and it does what it says it does. Hope that helps!

dinkydi
02-16-2017, 04:04 PM
very interesting encounter

alatilla
02-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Trying to delete this!

alatilla
02-16-2017, 04:16 PM
How much better if the Invisiplate had a custom numbering applique that is only visible only to infrared cameras? So your actual license plate says "12345" in the visible spectrum and the IR version says "54321" etc. Any such product out there?
There is a video of a product like that (the appliques I mean) online, and a bunch of people who SUPPOSEDLY are selling these numbers. DON'T BE FOOLED. They are scam artists who will take your money and sell you a "link" to buy the appliques but there actually are none to be had. Just a scam to take your money. I searched high and low and I can tell you that they don't actually exist for sale. If they did, I'd own them and I'd be giving you the link to get some for yourself! Sorry for the bad news! Hope this helps.

hitechrr
02-17-2017, 01:11 PM
In suffolk county NY it is a $300 fine for any cover on plate. It is a violation in NY for anything that covers plate even clear paint.

Tman
02-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Same law in Quebec but the fine is smaller : $ 85 +-
In suffolk county NY it is a $300 fine for any cover on plate. It is a violation in NY for anything that covers plate even clear paint.

alatilla
02-17-2017, 05:05 PM
Same law in Quebec but the fine is smaller : $ 85 +-

I feel lucky now, my ticket is just $54 or so. I did like having that plate cover, though...

briggsdon
03-15-2017, 06:00 AM
I remember I paid $60 for having one.